111 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2006, 00:40
Re: Vegetarians who eat fish..
Oct 10, 2006, 00:39
I started as a picky eater. I used my conscience to justify my vegetarianism.

Basically, I gave up meat because i was squeamish about the stuff they were putting into burgers and sausages, and what have you. After giving up these things, I found that I was eating hardly any meat any way, so the decision to stop was easy.

That was about 15 years ago. Since then I've cultivated a selective aversion to animal products. Being a veggie has led me to try to learn more about the issue, and as my stance hardened, I chose to give up eating fish about 4 or 5 years ago.

This was an evolution rather than a revolution. I cut down on fish pver 10 years, then chose abruptly to stop eating it entirely. Again, the dicision was easy because I was doing it so rarely. I'm a creature of habit. More so than most.

I can happily justify drinking non-vegetarian beers if a brand I'm sure is veggie is not avainlable, for example. My latent alcoholism is greater than my learned vegetarianism.

My point being that we weigh up the rights and wrongs.

If you believe that being a vegetarian benefits society as a whole, then you must surely believe that it must benefit you personally in the long run, even if that means taking things to the extreme that you believe it will benefit future genrations as much or more so than your own.

So I'm actually thnking about starting to eat fish again.

My moral compass is mainly directed inwards, and I'm not prepared to damage my own health, even in favour of what I know is an argument in favour of a greater and more sustainable good.

Thing is, I hate cruciferous vegetables.

That's cauliflower, sprouts, broccolli, cabbage, turnip, swede, and various others. The taste of which make me throw up. Or at least gag.

This may be a learned reaction. I suppose a person with more self discipline could learn to like such things, but I can't.

So there are holes that need filling. Those omega oils that you find in fish and sprouts are missing from my diet.

I'm not writing this to be combative. I want to do the right thing, but I don't know how.

This being the forum that it is, some intelligent and knowledgeable person will be able to point out a way of getting a balanced diet out of the following:

Potato, peas, nuts, pulses, mycoprotein, dairy products, asparagus, pot noodles, yam, cucumber and salad suff generally, garlic, ginger, tofu, couscous. Coca cola. Margarine. Capsicums and onions.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index