Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
9/11 (or 11/9 for Brits) -All You Ever Needed To Know!

52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2006, 23:26
Re: 9/11 (or 11/9 for Brits) -All You Ever Needed To Know!
Sep 22, 2006, 22:42
dee wrote:
Fuck man, how many times have governments lied to press a point!!!

Hell, no argument from me there. I'm no fan of the Bush regime, or of modern government in general. I don't believe that the US government would balk at murdering 3,000 people if it was felt that there was a compelling reason to do so.

But just because someone or some organisation is capable of carrying out an act does not mean that they did carry it out.

And in this case there is no evidence that they did so (beyond conjecture) and a vast amount of evidence that they didn't. Also, there was no genuine reason for them to do so. The attacks on New York and Washington severely damaged the US economy and scarred the American psyche. What would be the point of the US government doing that?

I mean, if they wanted a pretext to invade Afghanistan then they could (easily) have created one that didn't involve such a traumatic attack upon their own economic wellbeing. Also, anyone watching the immediate reaction (i.e. in the hours and few days following 11/9/01) of the US administration could clearly see that this wasn't a stage-managed operation... they were a bunch of headless chickens caught with their pants down (to mix metaphors). And that was plain to see.

I suggest that you read John Gray's excellent "Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern". There is nothing in the book about the attacks themselves. It's a philosophical examination of the ideologies which shape the "modern" world and it presents a compelling case for why the attacks were inevitable (or at least extremely likely).

I have a couple of questions for those who believe the US government carried out these attacks...

1. Is there anybody out there with enough animosity towards the United States to attack them?
2. Is there anybody out there with the resources to hijack four planes and crash three of them into symbolic targets?

See, for me the obvious answer to both questions is "yes". And once you come to that conclusion and then add it to the overwhelming evidence that exists for a radical Islamic attack (plus the claims of responsibiliy from Al Qaeda) then Occam's Razor does the rest.

John Gray's book can be picked up for a bargain here...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Al-Qaeda-What-Means-Modern/dp/0571220355/
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index