U-Know! Forum »
Deep dispair

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

Deep dispair
Jan 25, 2002, 09:04
My flatmate (and energy adviser) had just returned from the states. He recons that even the toilets are connected to the power supply. And LA has barely any pavements. Whats the point in us trying to make a chance to our consumption of resources when they are so clearly never going to make any effort to change...? I think we are doomed.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Deep dispair
Jan 25, 2002, 11:01
There used to be the rumour that you would actually get arrested if you walked through certain parts of LA (the ones with no pavements).

The world is mad ... no other explanation.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Pavements
Jan 25, 2002, 12:36
I don't know if you get arrested for it but certainly the reason areas like Brentwood have few pavements is to discourage hobos (and other itinerant people who don't have a Lexus). Charming or what?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jan 25, 2002, 14:09
Dear Agent Orange.

I agree, America is screwed, and it wants to take the rest of the world with it.

We must act.

Yours Sincerely,

Morfe, President of the Billion Dollar Project.
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Re: Pavements
Jan 26, 2002, 19:53
only States experience was c 10 years ago in Florida, where we were hooted at & abused like crazy for WALKING from mall to mall (all of 200 yds)....couple of minutes walk, 10 mins in a car via 'gyratories,' etc, but no pavements at all!
Crazy place!
Schlager Man
118 posts

Jan 28, 2002, 08:04
Never been to the states but two examples of their mentality..

1) A friend from The Lake District in Cumbria had to work in Washington DC for 6 months with a Computer firm. During this time he was based in a hotel about 20minutes walk from the office & given expenses for taxi's to & from his work.

Of course he walk the 20minutes twice a day, got their quicker, stayed fit & saved the travel cash for a holiday on the west coast after his contract .... EVERYONE in the office thought he was very strange, very different & possibly dangerous ...

2) Christmas 2001 in Germany, we finally met up with my wife's old friend's husband (Yank)...great chap really clued with politics 'n' history ..but one of the first things he said after hello, etc..was " Why do ya'll walk so much ?" & he said that after Sept 11 TV in the US was full of advertisement's such as.." How can YOU support yer Country in these difficult times...BUY A NEW CAR TODAY!"

How long has non use of cars been looked down on in da USA?

Slán

S
yorkiebluebird
yorkiebluebird
22 posts

Re: Pavements
Jan 28, 2002, 17:48
slanted and enchanted
ron
ron
706 posts

missing persons
Jan 29, 2002, 13:05
no...no...nobody walks in LA.

proud of having those cumbrian footpaths open again, are we?

uk plumbing.... hmmm, naww, i ain't gonna do it... that's just TOO fucking easy...
U-Know! Forum Index