Badgers

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

Badgers
Jan 23, 2002, 09:50
I know its illegal to do any thing that damages an active badger set, but who controls this? I know of a set that appears to be being deliberately tampered with quite possibly to make way for a building that has been planned for the site of the set. I called the EA to find out who to report this to, and they were singularly unhelpful. So who should I contact? (Please don't let it be English Nature, god help us!)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Badgers
Jan 23, 2002, 11:32
RSPCA maybe? Sorry, just guessing really!

Squid
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

Jan 23, 2002, 12:53
Thats what EA said, but this is a legal rather than a cruelty issue. Hmm, perhaps I should try them anyway, cos they do have some umph in law...cheers squid!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 23, 2002, 13:31
I just thought that if nothing else the RSPCA might be able to suggest who to contact...good luck AO!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 23, 2002, 14:17
Definitely the RSPCA are the first port of call. You could of course go to the police ... it being a criminal offence and all that.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jan 23, 2002, 15:01
Lo'!
It is a police matter, although the fines are usually low (approx £100-200 for cruelty, although the 1992 law sates up to £5000).

Badger Helpline 07778 660065

Lots of info here:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/city/community/badger_group/index.html
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jan 23, 2002, 15:03
Here's a guide from the police:

http://www.met.police.uk/wildlife/badger.htm

Good luck agent orange!
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

Jan 23, 2002, 15:45
Coolie, thanks Morfe. Ive contacted my local National Federaton of Badger Groups group. Sounds like a simple fine ain't gonna deter the developers, maybe we can go for some bad publicity...?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

eh up!
Jan 23, 2002, 16:59
"English Nature are responsible for issuing licences under section 10(1)(d) of the Protection of Badgers Act 1992 to permit interference with a badger sett, in the course of development (which includes building and construction work). Although consideration of the case for granting a licence is separate from the process of applying for planning permission, a local authority should advise anyone submitting an application for development in an area where there are known to be badger setts that they must comply with the provisions of the Act. Local authorities and all other public bodies also need a licence in respect of any development which they themselves carry out in any areas where there are known to be badger setts. For further information see Home Office Circular 100/91.

"http://www.onlincam.freeserve.co.uk/planning/acts/ppgs/ppg9.htm

Could you please mail me with further details regarding the perpetrators/developers , AO?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 23, 2002, 17:35
I actually remember a similar thing when a new housing development was being started (for the locals this was on Stallings Lane in Kingswinford). Someone noticed a pair of breeding periguine falcons in one of the trees that was due to be chopped down. So off to court they went to get an injunction. The day before the hearing a JCB was accidentally reversed into the tree making it unsafe and next to a very busy road.

The developers got a 150 quid fine or something but that was nothing compared to the thousands they would have lost if they had had to wait until the autumn to finish building.

As far as I remember, I don't know who, but someone very kindly went around spraying grafitti over the inside of the houses every time they redecorated them ... must have cost a small fortune to keep the (incidently selectively blind) security people on site.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index