Afghan prisoners

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Hail to the Defenders of Civilization!
Jan 18, 2002, 10:12
>so their circumstances in Cuba are reasonably >humane.

A lot of them have TB, they are being kept in the open air near mosquito-attracting arc lamps in a malaria infested swamp, need I say more? The Taliban treated the western journalist Yvonne Ridley humanely enough and she was arrested for spying rather than as a prisoner of war.

US army sources are quoted in todays paper as describing bad treatment of their prisoners as "a perk of the job".

Strangely, very little about the protests of Amnesty, Red Cross etc. has been reported in the US media.
caergog
393 posts

beards
Jan 18, 2002, 10:41
apparently the prisoners beards are been shaved off for hygiene reasons. If all bodily hair was being shaved off it might not seem so sinister but i don't think it is. it is a little too remanisant of treatment of the jews, and totally disrepectful of the prisoners religon. I know this is a trivial point in some respects but i find it quite disturbing.
caroline
spirit
182 posts

Re: Afghan prisoners
Jan 18, 2002, 10:48
and Mr Chip even you say they were only thinking/plotting there is no proof that they have actually done any of these things

1. what happened to the moral high ground - two wrongs don't make a right et. If you want to be seen as the ethical force then your troops have to behave ethically. The Geneva convention was drafted to prevent this sort of behavious and renaming these prisoners of war something else does not ecxempt America from behaving in accordance with it.

2. And treating people this way because they might possibly have thought about committing an act of terrorism is an outrage -

these are people and they deserve to be treated as such. Treating them badly dehumanises those doing it as much as the victims.

Before you suggest treating them like shit is acceptable I suggest you read 'If this is a man' by Primo Levi
spirit
182 posts

Re: beards
Jan 18, 2002, 10:50
all about humiliation, domination, enforcement of one person's will on another - and it is utterly repellant
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 18, 2002, 15:27
That's exactly what it is ... repelling. It is the equivelent of making a Sikh remove his turban and cut his hair if imprisoned.

It's all about domination and humiliation. It's one big SICK joy ride for the US troops and those telling them what to do.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Jan 18, 2002, 15:46
yeah, you're just biased though ..

http://www.guilfin.net/gallery/?id=pxINET330

heh

RG
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 18, 2002, 17:00
The whole thing makes me think of that line of Martin Sheen's in "Apocalypse Now" about how condemning someone for acting illegally in the context of a war is like handing out speeding tickets at the Mint 400
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 18, 2002, 17:02
How does the USA connect this with getting justice for the victims of the World Trade Centre attack? They're really forgetting what they said the point of it all was. If the USA administration doesn't realise that by doing this they are proving to the Muslim world that this is a war against Islam, which they have denied continuously whilst proving otherwise, then they're dumber than I thought (and that's saying something).
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: Why Cuba
Jan 19, 2002, 08:34
It still hasn't settled mine! Why Cuba? Of course money solves everything. But isn't the US supposedly big enough? Or is it fear of the prisoners? Exporting their problem? etc
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: Afghan prisoners
Jan 19, 2002, 08:47
Sorry I don't. But it was to be expected. No-one seriously believes the US in on a 'different war'. I knew this war would be 'just another US war' (only in this case they were sort of allowed to bomb other people out of extinction due to the gravity of the incident). There is nothing that changes the way war was waged. It is still a technological monster destroying yet another backward faraway country for pride reasons, etc without actually solving ANYTHING at all. Al Qaeda may be done with but its main bosses are still around. No-one seriously thought they would ever be caught. Not even the dumbest person who the US has shown the world is perfectly capable of voting into office, and right now, supporting after achieving so much popularity.

Even as we speak, double the number of people as before are turning into terrorists after seeing YET ANOTHER equal demonstration of vile actions without reason by the US. The case continues and the US is sort of hitting and then shouting 'come on, hit again if you dare!'. This attitude reminds me of the dumbest kids at school who ended up not hurting anyone except themselves.

Needless to say, CNN and other American media is as pathetic as the propaganda by the Russian communists during the 70s. Though the population is kept happy with lots of entertainment, if you dig deeper, the US is just another totalitarian state, in a slightly different way (i.e. technological). And don't come with the silly 'so why don't you fuck off to a totalitarian state and really see how they live?' (cos I've done that) or 'you wouldn't be allowed to use the internet and blah blah blah' (cos that just doesn't explain why websites are CIA-purged or shut down)
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index