Child Soldiers

1 message
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Child Soldiers
Nov 21, 2001, 10:12
I just read a touching report of a young boy from Sierra Leone addressing the UN and asking them to stop the use of children in warfare .... As if they should need asking about that !!!???

I know this young boys tale is a sad one, being abducted, subjected to, witness to and forced to commit terrors beyond our comprehension and now that he is released he is living with foster parents because is family can not be found, BUT the article makes no reference to the fact that the British army has quite a lot of child soldiers in it for instance. i.e. those that are legally minors. It's ok .. they supposedly still need parents permission to do certain things (like join the army) and they can't vote ... but we'll train them to kill !!

This is actually one of the areas that the US fare well in, but then they have a very large population so the need to recruit children is minimised and this would soon change if the country was actually invaded by a huge force.

How can the UN explain the reasoning behind allowing this to continue into the 21st century?
U-Know! Forum Index