Dentistry - I ain't joking!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

Dentistry - I ain't joking!
Oct 17, 2001, 13:57
Just wondered if anyone here had any suggestions. just paid a collosal bill for much need tooth treatment caused by years of neglect and determine to turn over a new leaf.

Yet seems to me that dental products are not really very ethical - dentists recommend toothbrushes made by procter&gamble/smithclinebeecham, floss is more plastic in the bin, toothpast never comes as powder anymore so not minimised packaging, sugarfree gum is disgusting (I imagine! not having a sweet tooth) why can't it be savoury? and does it bio-degrade?

Does anyone know of anyone who does a range of human/environment friendly dental products?
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

RiotFloss
Oct 17, 2001, 14:13
don't you diss flossing, girl ... never achieved such satisfaction anywhere else ... heh

anyway, Kingfisher toothpaste might be the one for you ... most toothpaste has ground-up animal bone in, to give it a bit of abrasiveness, not KT ... dunno about toothbrushes though

what did they use in Ancient Times ... bamboo?

RG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Dentistry - I ain't joking!
Oct 17, 2001, 14:20
Check these lot out ...

http://www.toms-of-maine.com/

they don't do te toothbrushes, but paste, floss and stuff is all there.

Their products are available at Boots (hmm) and Holland & Barret.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Oct 17, 2001, 14:27
Hmmm, it's a hard one, funnily enough I've got to see the dentist next week as have jaw-death-pain from hell. What a healthy bunch of crusties we are!

Floss:

http://www.abundantearth.com/store/gentlefloss.html
dunno if they ship to uk/stock here, but worth checking?

I use Kingfisher fennel paste, but whilst on elimination diet had to use baking powder (exsqueeze me?) argh!) as couldn't let cornstarch pass lips. Hey, why not mix up fennell, baking powder and some other fab goo with some spit, and brush it on with a wooden toothbrush wot you have mad your self with badger bristles?

Seriously, I can't find biodegradeable toothbrush yet, but here's one with replaceable heads..

http://www.eco-babes.co.uk/product-Eco-Baby%20Toiletries.html

Wrigleys have recipe for biodegradeable gum too, although I haven't heard any release dates in UK as yet, think there's a campaign for it.

Good luck AO

morfe.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 17, 2001, 14:47
try here for tooth brushes and other stuff

http://www.abundantearth.com/store/toothnmouth1.html

and why has no one ever made this !!

http://www.delphion.com/galleryarch
spirit
182 posts

Oct 17, 2001, 16:49
allegedly eco-friendly toothbrushes can be found in the natural collection catalogue along with loads of other bio-degradable, recycled, not tested on animals stuff - got my copy sent by Action Aid - but if remember to look at home tonight (currently doing my wage slave bit) will post contact details tomorrow.
spirit
182 posts

Oct 17, 2001, 16:53
allegedly eco-friendly toothbrushes can be found in the natural collection catalogue along with loads of other bio-degradable, recycled, not tested on animals stuff - got my copy sent by Action Aid - but if remember to look at home tonight (currently doing my wage slave bit) will post contact details tomorrow.
Estelle
89 posts

Oct 17, 2001, 16:53
ive had yearsof quandry over the toothpaste issue. My asian associates employ a black powder,which they swear is vegetarian, cos hindus use it. Its contents are as mysteriosly unlabelled as patent proctor+gamble.
my grandad used to brush his teeth with salt, and chew liquorris twigs. How much good this did is debatable. The place where i grew up used to have the tradition of total teeth removal at the age of 21, one shilling for the dentist and an extra shilling for enuff
gin not to care.
i health food shop toothpaste if i can afford it. i hate the taste of mint but alternatives are not much better.

good luck
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Ancient teeth
Oct 17, 2001, 19:11
Well they didn'thave sugar so none of our modern day dental problems.
(They didn't have amphet's either :/)
Monty Python only made one mistake in their portrayal of life in the middle ages (Jabberwockey) by giving people bad teeth.
Archaeo evidence shows they had very reasonable gnashers.
P
lucy heritage
1 posts

Oct 17, 2001, 19:13
Weleda make homeopathic toothpaste, the calendula one is quite nice! Not sure quite how green they are, but worth a try. using salt to brush teeth is another alternative, if you can do it without wanting to throw up. By the way, I am a dentist, so you should all be flossing every day!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index