Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Re: climate change
Nov 04, 2005, 15:51
'Which of the following do you dispute?

- The atmosphere contains carbon dioxide

- Atmospheric carbon dioxide influences global temperatures

- Human use of fossil fuels has led to a net emission of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere

- The addition of that carbon dioxide to the atmosphere increases the influence on temperatures

I'm genuinely interested as to which of those elementary facts of physics you would contest.'

I don't dispute any of these facts. What I dispute is that the meltdown of civilisation within two generations is a given.

'"Other research reveals that this reduction has been taking place at a consistent rate for 400 years."

can you give us a source for this? '

I will endeavour to unearth it this week-end, but I haven't been told what my plans are for this week-end yet!

I agree essentially with a lot of what you say. I believe that governments throughout the world are in the main uninterested in finding a global solution and I am not sure that societies throughout the world are pressuring their goverments even remotely hard enough to make changes.

Where I think we disagree is in the degree of crisis at this present time and how to resolve the problems.

I am also of the opinion that by focussing everything on fuels we are missing the opportunity to press forward other reforms that would benefit the situation, not least a vast reduction in the use of plastics and the reversal of de-forestation with a massive planting programme wherever land is available.

In the process of convincing people of an argument, I always find that suggestion is more readily accepted that statement. The best way to prove you are right is to lead us to the evidence that convinced you and let it convince us as well. Bald statement of 'fact' tends to lead to a negative reaction.

Having said that, I believe that any discussion is better than no discussion at all and that is why I keep coming back here. I am always interested, educated and entertained by H2H, it is a truly wonderful place!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index