No2ID Cards Meeting August 25th.

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

No2ID Cards Meeting August 25th.
Aug 15, 2005, 10:07
Just incase anyone is interested in going. I'll probably be there and can post up anything interesting after the event.

Nat

No2ID are currently organizing an Open Meeting, to be held in Central London, on August 25th, in the evening (likely start-time: 7pm.)

Details are still being confirmed, and are subject to change; in addition to being dependent on numbers.

Under discussion, will be:
1. National Coordinator's welcome & update
2. No2ID's Summer Campaigning Activities
> * constituency-based
> * party conferences
> * festivals, etc.
3. Questions & suggestions from the floor
4. Anything Else

Merchandise will be available, and we will be facilitating membership renewals

More details will be confirmed, on the website, and in email to registrants

If you're available on that day (you may also want to pencil in the Thursday after), then please register by visiting http://www.no2id.net/events/augpubmeet.php

We will email confirmed details to everyone registered, in addition to posting them on the Website.

Hopefully, we'll see as many of you as possible in just under a fortnight.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: No2ID Cards Meeting August 25th.
Aug 15, 2005, 10:35
http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/privacy/id-cards.shtml

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/comrace/identitycards/

http://www.no2id.net/

A few "for and against" websites for you... the decision is yours at the end of the day so I'm not going to preach at you... :o)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 15, 2005, 11:39
Thanks Nat-a-lee!

They can keep their grubby gubmint paws offa my irises!

*shudder*

Do you think they'll be doing foot-printing for those considered armless?

Just a thought ;-)
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Aug 15, 2005, 12:18
No problembo Morfeeeee!!

"Do you think they'll be doing foot-printing for those considered armless?"

That is a very very good question!! What about if you are quadraplegic? What happens if you have to have a blood transfusion? What happens if you have to keep moving house - would you have to apply for a new ID Card everytime? All possible ID Card flaws and questions to be asked... :o)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 15, 2005, 12:38
"Can i just ask, and I am in no way trying to annoy people, what the main problem is?"

Well that's a fair question, my personal grievances regarding such an ID scheme are are of course subjective, but they are mostly grounded in erosion of personal liberty.

I have nothing to hide, but I do not want someone stamping my arse with a government certificate of authenticity, and then having to pay for the privilege...

Also, ask any IT bod whether it's going to be efficient.

We may pump in more money than Stalin ever did, and still have terrorists. Will we be safer? I think not. Will the information be abused by others? I think so.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. As ever am pleased to discuss where any think I am mistaken.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Aug 15, 2005, 13:07
"I wouldn't mind having and ID card, if it made the country safer. If it didn't, whats the point?"

What makes you as a UK citizen think that having an ID card will make the Country safer?

I don't think that is a possibility at all.... Who would check everyone to make sure they had ID cards - would these 'ID Card Checkers' stop every single person or stop people who look like terrorists (what do terrorists look like?)? How would you know that a potential terrorist didn't have an ID Card? The potential terrorist could be a paid up member and own an ID Card?

Nat x
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Aug 15, 2005, 13:09
Do you live in London? You could always register on the No2ID site and go to the meeting?

Tis worth a thought.... if you contact Liberty, they could also send you some stuff to read.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Aug 15, 2005, 13:16
"Also, ask any IT bod whether it's going to be efficient."

Nope. It isn't. It's going to be incredibly expensive too, really silly money I reckon. It won't stop a thing, its really (tin foil hat on) just part of this governments dream to build a DNA database of the entire population and has absolutely fuck all to do with preventing terrorism. Also, in order to do what they're planning to going to have to rip up most of the Data Protection Act.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 15, 2005, 14:04
I think you worry too much about terrorism. You let terrorists rule your life. But then what else is old...

Go and have your ID cards. Don't blame me if you miss your liberty...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 15, 2005, 14:05
See above.
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index