Genoa

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: Genoa
Jul 24, 2001, 09:46
the possibility of genoa - or any of the other similar recent actions -stopping the forward march of global capitalism by themselves was never the point in itself. i always thought that the main achievement of such demos was to INSPIRE people - to show that there are thousands - millions - of people who share our hatred of the effects of capitalism, and to show that we can change something. i mean does anyone think the G8 would have invited ANY african leaders except as an attempt to kid us that they 'do care'. the african aid may be a pisspoor amount, but it is more than would have been given otherwise.
I know of loads of people who have been inspired by seattle/prague/nice/gothenburg/genoa - inspired to do something in their localities, and there workplaces. and this is why (I think) such actions are really important, because it is thru such local actions - where we can actually talk to people on an individual basis, about issues which directly and obviously affect there lives - that we canbring about a change in sun (mirror/mail/guardian) readers views, and from there.........

U-Know! Forum Index