the indian ocean.

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: phuket island...
Dec 30, 2004, 09:07
"Domestically, the existence of charities like Shelter, and before them, Barnardos have failed to make much of a dent in the problem of homelessness. Perhaps if such charities didn't exist, society as a whole would find a sensible and sustainable method of stopping these problems from occurring."

What would be the sensible method of stopping these problems? Would be wonderful to live in an ideal world where everyone lived in a lovely house, no-one was abused blah blah blah... but unfortunately it's never going to happen!!! According to the Government Charities such as ours 'have' made a dent in the numbers of street homeless, this is because we have moved them off the streets into temporary hostels and accommodation and made the 'hidden homeless', as you said the system isn't working. We need more money from the Government but instead they have cut our grants and forced us to lay off staff and have forced us to 'beg to people for money'.. it's not ideal but it has to happen....

It's your decision not to give to Charity and I certainly respect that, I'm not going to beg you to change your mind at all. Charity does begin at home and if people did look at what they have and how they treat things each other the world would certainly be a better place! Until then I'm afraid people like me will be be working with those less fortunate..... just don't talk to me about those people at Crisis.. mumble mumble mumble... tut.... ;o)

Happy New Year you!!!

xxxx
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index