Kerry's fault? - pt1
Nov 04, 2004, 14:23
> Who lost the election? The "Howler-Monkey Wing" of
> the Democratic party, led by Michael Moore & Howard
> Dean. Jumping up and down, screeching and flinging
> poo will never change anybody's mind. You catch more
> flies with honey than vinegar. Etc.
>
Fraid I disagree with you on that. And there's obviously no way to know for sure. But I would return to the point I made earlier that those who voted Bush were clearly doing so because *they supported him* and not because Kerry (or Michael Moore) drove them away. As for jumping around and screeching... Which election were you watching!? Swift Boat Veterans Against Kerry, "Stolen Honor, Wounds That Never Heal", the 'wolves', the *constant* referral to Kerry as a flip-flopper, as a threat to national security, as weak, as dangerous, as liberal (in the perjorative sense). It's very possible that Moore and Dean were screeching a little bit louder than the other side... but your implication that Bush garnered support because he used honey instead of vinegar...? That seems absurd to me.

And just what the hell kind of person thinks "well, I *was* going to vote for John Kerry, but that Michael Moore guy really pisses me off, so I'll vote for Dubya instead"? I'll tell you what kind... a Bush voter.

> Another thing that never ceases to amaze me: the
> way the left repeats the mantra that Bush is "dumb"
> -- he's obviously far more clever than you guys when
> it comes to electoral politics.
>
I'm not part of whatever "left" you might be referring to. But I am guilty as charged when it comes to calling Dubya "dumb". Because he is. Are you honestly claiming that his ability to win an American election makes the man "clever"? Again, which election were you watching?

And by the way, stating an obvious truth; "George W Bush isn't the sharpest tool in the shed" is *not* equivalent to claiming "everybody who doesn't agree with me is super-moronic-dumb". And it's just nonsense to say that it is. Bush is surrounded by very clever people with whom I disagree. But I've watched the man speak at length dozens of times. Watched him debate Kerry three times. And it's not just the fact that he's a bad public speaker - though he is (Kissinger's a bad public speaker, but I'd hardly call the man "dumb" even though I disagree with him profoundly). It's the body language, intonation and facial expressions which all tell you that, as soon as he strays off his script, he's got little or no grasp on the subject he's discussing.

It's weird; I didn't take your description of Michael Moore to mean that every person you disagree with is a "howler-monkey". Why assume my specific criticism of Bush is to be applied to everyone I disagree with?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index