104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Get over your sorry asses
Nov 04, 2004, 03:10
[rant on]

I hate to tell you guys this . . . but it's precisely this insulting & childish rhetoric that just handed the Republicans a major victory.

The "FUCK BUSH" mantra may stir up kids under 35, but they don't show up at the polls (only 10% of 18-24 year olds voted yesterday -- sorry Diddy!).

But the important thing is that when people over 50 see a bunch of stoners in dreadlocks with Kerry stickers shouting "FUCK BUSH!" at the top of their lungs, they get disgusted and say "this country is going to hell in a handbasket -- what happened to the democratic party?!?! They used to have some class!" And the key thing is, PEOPLE OVER 50 ACTUALLY VOTE.

The dem strategy of surrounding their candidate with a bunch of rock stars & hollywood elites backfired horribly. Again, that kinda stuff only appeals to KIDS, and KIDS DON'T VOTE!!

Fahrenheit 9/11 was another example -- as I argued here months ago, I am convinced this film HELPED BUSH WIN. Because it alienated far more middle-aged middle-Americans than it convinced 18-24 year olds who don't vote anyway. Fewer than 20 million people in the US saw that film (out of 300 million population, 120 million who voted) -- seriously, how many of that film's audience do you think were people over age 50? How many people with bifocals and grey hair that YOU know like to get their political news via flashy rapidly-edited MTV-style images with deafening rock music in surround sound in a movie theatre at the mall? None that I know of . . . .

This election seems to me a clear repudiation of the "juvenilization" of the left wing of the American polity. Which is almost a rerun of the 60's -- when Nixon won I'm sure the hippies just COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW STUPID "AMERICANS" WERE!!!!! And so they went out in the streets shaking their fists and howling "FUCK NIXON!!!" at the top of their lungs. Which of course gave Nixon an even bigger landslide the 2nd time.

Now I want to make something perfectly clear: I am NOT a conservative nor a republican. I say these things because THE LEFT DESPERATELY NEEDS TO HEAR IT. I am your friend. I can help you, but you have to be willing to help yourself.

Personalizing issues by demonizing a single person (i.e. "FUCK BUSH") will not change anyone's opinion. In fact it will make you appear immature, uncivil, ignorant, and lots of other adjectives -- and this will drive older voters AWAY in large numbers.

Insulting the entire country (as Mr. Moore repeatedly does) is another sure-fire way to make the whole country hate you right back.

So go on, continue to tell me that Bush fucks the heads off of small children beneath an altar depicting Hitler while Cheney strangles kittens, because the Americans are the stupidest people on earth for daring to not vote the way that the Beastie Boys told us to.

Pretty soon you'll have me convinced to vote for the Republicans too.

Seriously, the "loudmouth left" needs to start doing some soul-searching right about now. Four more years of "fuck bush" rhetoric will only ensure further Republican victories in 2006 and 2008.

Ignore this message from a moderate swing-voter in a battleground state at your own peril. . .

[/rant off]
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index