U-Know! Forum »
Four more years?

104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Bollocks!
Nov 03, 2004, 16:03
It's a disaster, IMHO. And really, it's more than the politicians over here that are to blame. The news media are no less complicit, inasmuch as they feel that a 'tilt' toward Bush protects their fiscal interests better than a Democratic administration. So since they were spending so much time acting as Dubya's bully pulpit, people who don't know better have been essentially duped into that line of thinking while at the same time, they're getting poorer and losing civil liberties, all because they've been taught to 'believe the news'.

There's a very good book that looks at what's going on here called "What's the Matter With Kansas?". In that, the author examines how the state is hemorrhaging money, jobs, family farms, and so on while at the same time rabidly voting for the Republicans who're working for the major financial firms, megacorps, and big ag firms that're causing all the damage. The rightwingers use 'morality' as a red rag to wave in the face of the ignorant in order to get them to do what they want, while at the same time lifting their wallets with the hand not doing the waving. Most ironic, it's places such as Kansas that, back in the early part of the 20th century, were the cradle of the American progressive movement.

I am horrified at what is happening to my country. The nation I am living in is not the one that I was raised in, quite literally. And I fear that if things fall even further down this bizarre slope that I and those I live with will have to leave the land of our birth in order to guarantee our sanity, if not our safety.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index