so gay?

63 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: so gay?
Oct 19, 2004, 11:54
Well he'll get a hell of a wake-up call if either of his kids are gay then, won't he?

It makes me laugh when people think being gay is some kind of decision you make when you reach the age of sexual consent and that your sexuality can be influenced in some way by your surroundings, the company you keep or the genes you inherited from your parents!

For as long as I can remember, I've been aware that I've been attracted to men rather than women, a preference that's always been with me no matter what. Gay people I've spoken to have said the same; that they've known what they've been attracted to from the word go, makes sense, eh?

Whether or not they've been able to express that is a different matter. God it must be difficult being a gay kid in school, as if adolescence isn't enough of a nightmare! Mind you, I do remember (from my particularly short teaching career) a 15 year old lad who was very overtly gay, but because he was such a flamboyant and charismatic character, he didn't come in for much stick from the other kids.

My Mum, who taught primary age kids for over 25 years, remembers kids who were very obviously gay, too, but they didn't come in for too hard a time cos things like that don't seem to bother little kids so much. I guess the prejudice kicks in later on, and parents have a responsibility to nip it in the bud IMO.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index