U-Know! Forum »
so gay?

63 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: so gay?
Oct 15, 2004, 12:52
I didn't realise it was an american thing? Some of my friends use the word in something like that way. In fact I admit it's rubbed off on me and I've used it myself. But I wouldn't connect it with being 'sad and pathetic'. More (can I think of an example) - I know my friends will have used it about cars for example. Maybe the new beetle, or something (ok I know nothing about cars). When they've/I've used the word it's not about being pathetic but more being ostentatious and flashy, but in a misplaced uncool way.
Am I digging a hole? Ok it's not a positive meaning but it's not a nasty word either, more descriptive of an attitude. I'm sure they don't use it with much reference to the sexuality meaning of 'gay'. And let's not forget that words can have more than one meaning. I mean 'gay' fairly littered my school reading books as a child, as in A Gay Frock, and I would still use the word in that way on occasion.
Get out of this one rhiannon.
I have no idea how they use the word in america. Do elaborate. And I'll get my coat.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index