That's a big burger

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: bigger burger
Sep 22, 2004, 12:46
Funnily enough, I was just talking about this the other day...

In Tescos at midnight with non-veggie wife, eyeing up the chickens. I suddenly thought about the "pay it forward" philosophy, and realised that it applied here. What you do with a dead chicken doesn't matter. Buy it or not, it makes no difference to the chicken. But buying it, and feeding the demand for it ensures that future generations of chickens are raised and killed. If it's a free-range chicken, then at least it has some quality of life first, but ultimately, the reason for the industrial production of food animals is driven by demand.

I never thought of putting food production on a par with hunting, and can see that the point baza is making is a valid one. I'd always thought that there was some justification for keeping animals for food, compared to the killing of animals for "sport", but now I'm not so sure.

But here's the big bit.

Our industrialised, centralised food production system is heavily dependent upon scarce resources, and we wont be able to sustain it much longer. Without cheap oil greasing the wheels, how we avoid the starvation of countless millions in years to come is going to be a huge issue. A field of crops that feeds humans feeds far more people than a field of grass that feeds a cow that feeds humans. I don't know the exact proportions, but I'm sure someone here will have the figures.

In the future, choosing to eat meat will mean depriving other humans of the right to life too.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index