That's a big burger

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: bigger burger
Sep 21, 2004, 19:01
Couldn't have put it better myself. I've known plenty of vegans in my time that are oh-so careful not to harm baa lambs and moo cows but treat other human beings like shit, so in my view that makes them no better than us barbaric meat eaters!

Thing is, it's difficult to do anything without harming other living beings, isn't it? The commercial farming of grain and veg destroys natural woodland and meadow habitats, driving cars pumps horrible polutants into the environment that damage trees and wildlife, switching on a light or a computer means that fossil fuels have to be burnt, causing further environmental damage - don't need to go on, do I? Yet we still have to eat, we still have to get around and we still rely on electricity for our day to day existence.

I appreciate what you're saying about trying to go veggie with no success, too - I can go without meat, very rarely eat it and even then just poultry, but I still wear leather shoes and I couldn't do without dairy and eggs, so I'm no 'better' than a meat eater which is why I don't describe myself as vegetarian and why I don't condemn other people for eating meat.

Basically it's nigh on impossible to live your life without causing some kind of suffering to others; we can make small concessions to minimise that; buying humanely reared meat, organic veg, using the car/electricity as seldom as possible, avoiding buying clothes made by kids in third world sweatshops etc, but at the end of the day we're all damaging the planet just by being here!

Life sucks, eh?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index