U-Know! Forum »
Yatesbury...ideal for a festival?!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
yoovee
1 posts

Yatesbury...ideal for a festival?!
Jul 09, 2004, 23:38
Living in Calne and going via A4 regularly it has often struck me how ideal the Yatesbury area would be to start a lovely happy festival, you know...like the old days! The access is much better than "other festivals". A4 & M4 etc. Avebury, Silbury Hill, Windmill Hill and West Kennet on the doorstep..Stonehenge walkable...the place is bursting with cosmic energy! Leylines crisscross, people naturally drawn to the area for centuries... It wouldn't take much organising...would it?...would it??
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: Yatesbury...ideal for a festival?!
Jul 12, 2004, 08:54
>It wouldn't take much organising...would it?...would it??

Blimey, don't get me started! Organising festies isn't as easy as it used to be. If you want to have a crack at it, I can send you templates for much of the stuff you will need (H&S plans, proposals, contacts etc).

A word of advice, DON'T attempt it on your own. You need as many folk as possible... preferably with experience.
landells
landells
680 posts

Jul 12, 2004, 14:59
That lovely man Vince Power* once said, anyone can put on a festival - all you need is a million pounds. (Or something very similar)

* I think it was Vince Power, apologies to all offended parties if I'm wrong
Riddley Walker
174 posts

Templates
Jul 12, 2004, 22:18
I would like to see the templates, if its not too much trouble. Just out of interest mainly, but I've had a few ideas hanging about for a while and I'd like to have some way to consider their practicality. Thanks in advance!
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: Templates
Jul 13, 2004, 09:01
Sure, what kind of thing would you like to see? If I sent you everything, it'd take you till xmas to sort thru' it! I have PDFs of the eight part proposal for Norwich City Council (for the Eastern Sun Fayre Free Festie last year) that covers much of the stuff that councils want to see, if that would be any use to you?

Norwich are a particularly strict/anal council (the ones that banned bouncy castles and cut down conker trees for fear of being sued over injury!).... so if this stuff got past them, any council in the country should be happy with it!

Send your email addy to me (mine is in my profile), n' I'll forward the PDFs to you.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 18:22
>> Leylines crisscross

Great selling point. You have me hooked. Perhaps you can show me a few Leylines next time I'm in the area.

One thought. All around Yatesbury is reclaimed marsh land. The village used to be totally isolated and provisions were dragged across the marsh on a wooden sledge-type ferry thing. I wouldn't fancy erecting a great big stage around there!

Also, some of the locals are grumpy buggers ...
Riddley Walker
174 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 19:26
Ok I have emailed you.

I live in Ipswich and remember well the recent controversy regarding conker trees, though if I recall they were worried that kids would stop in the road to pick them up and get run over!
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Jul 14, 2004, 09:51
Have mailed PDF docs to you, so they should be in your mailbox by now (be prepared for a long, dry read!!)

>I live in Ipswich and remember well the recent controversy regarding conker trees, though
>if I recall they were worried that kids would stop in the road to pick them up and get run
>over!

NCC are terrified of being sued and the adverse publicity it would cause.... but by behaving in such a bizzare way, they generate far more bad publicity for themselves than any court case could! I know someone who heard the conker trees story while in the Caribbean, on the World Service!!

Most of the Council employees seem more concerned with protecting their positions than actually running the city.

I could go on......

;)
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Jul 14, 2004, 09:52
>Also, some of the locals are grumpy buggers ...

N' you can bet your hairy ass that they are the very people who are on the Parish Council!

I'd be reluctant to bandy the work 'festival' around councils in that area of the country.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Jul 14, 2004, 14:55
Here's an idea. A couple of years ago, there was a bunch of folks involved with the solstice/equinox accessess at Stonehenge who were looking for a site for a gathering either side of the summer solstice. The plan kinda faded out when a site couldn't be found.

If you think that there's a good chance of getting something together near Yatesbury (or anywhere else nearby), I could put you in touch with them?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index