Wind farms v Birds

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: birdcage
Jan 28, 2004, 16:27
I hear you LL. Marine pollution is a thing I'm personally really active about, and yes, propellers are just one thing, add to that the gazillions of litres of untreated sewage ejected by sealiners, and there's already a backlog of major problems without starting on other industrial pollutants.

Everything is a trade-off, and wave/tidal power is still in infant stage. Research figures that 0.1 of tidal energy, if harnessed, could provide 5 times the current global electricity demand. Of course, we've heard this before (annexe a desert with solar cells) and I'm guessing that 0.1 of the worlds oceans is a MASSIVE area. The cost of building, maintaining and distributing such 'farms' is most likely infeasible, but I hate that word. One day we'll hopefully reach the 'lesser evil' option, but I don't think for one minute that it will be a one option solution. Unless GotWorld (TM) develop an awesome sci-fi infinite energy machine that we must all suckle from.

http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/news-releases/2003/nuclear-power/Zneutrons.html

Where's that Grufty gone? I'm splashing in the water here :-)

More figures on bird chopping:

Q. Don't windmills kill birds?
A. While one can not underestimate the significance of reducing the impact of wind turbine bird collisions, it is important to put the problem into perspective.

"The following is the estimated annual avian collision mortality in the USA:

- Vehicles: 60 million - 80 million
- Buildings & windows: 98 million - 980 million
- Power lines: 10,000 to 174 million
- Communication towers: 4 million - 50 million
- Wind turbines: 10,000 - 40,000 "

http://greengold.org/wind/faqs.php

(I don't know where they get their figures from, there's little left of a smal bird after collision, and they get eatened up pronto)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index