Wind farms v Birds

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Wind farms v Birds
Jan 28, 2004, 11:28
I know that there's a lot of fans (pardon the pun) of wind power on here - what d'you make of this?
As a former member of the YOC (ahem), I don't think this is a price worth paying.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1130672,00.html

x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Wind farms v Birds
Jan 28, 2004, 11:57
There's no escapingthe fact that we will always need power. At some point we will have to accept that we can't have quite as much as we do now, but we will need it never the less.

So, assuming that we must get power from somewhere then you have to look at the method with the least long-term effect on the rest of the planet.

The odd bird vs. the whole eco system ... hmmmm ... tough one ...
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 12:17
[The odd bird vs. the whole eco system ... hmmmm ... tough one ...]

Well I understand that, and I don't profess to be any kind of expert. I'm really not sure about this myself, but if we are not talking about the odd bird, but a threat to the existence of that species in Britain hat certainly leaves me with reservations.

x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 12:40
The fact that it was a red kite is upsetting. Beautiful birds! The reintroduction process in north Wales is one of the more successful endeavours that have been undertaken.

I would imagine that hundreds of sparrows, crows and such like get hit every year, but they don't make the news.

It would be interesting to find out who exactly released the story. Was it someone with something against windfarms who knew that a story about a single red kite (rather than 100 sparrows a year for instance) would cause a greater reaction?
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 12:41
I'd like to know the percentage of birds that are killed by Wind Farms compared to the numbers killed in airplane engines at airports such as Heathrow.... I'm sure more are lost there than on wind farms??? Not sure...
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 12:47
I'm sure it is more, but the reason I'm so bothered is that I feel enthusiastic about wind farms, so this side-effect (if it really is one) is quite alarming. I don't feel any enthusiasm for airports all over the country and aeroplanes polluting the world!

The decline in the sparrow population is a worry too.

x
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 12:52
The decline in the sparrow population is a very big worry. I love sparrows they are my fav bird..

The wind farm thing concerns me also, but it's like Fourwinds says above, who wrote the report is it someone anti-windfarm? I don't think the report stated if it was 1 or 20 red kites killed? I'm sure if we were to pen a reply to the article (was in The Observer on Sunday) with statistics of birds killed by planes and wind farms then it would not be so bad. I don't think they will get rid of wind farms... I will still support them. Wild Life will have to adapt to them in the long run I'm sure rabbits/foxes etc will have moved from their vicinity when built but are now going back. It could be that in a year there will be no bird deaths because the birds get used to them being there and avoid....

I dont' know.. but do you see what I mean in a round a bout way! I think...
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 13:07
Think you might be on the wrong track with the planes, Nat. You wanna look at how many dead pigeons, sparrows, kites, whatever are cleaned out of power stations . Which of course will be nothing to do with the destruction of natural habitat round about them (and, further afield, I suppose).
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 13:08
Erm, no sarcasm in that "Which of course". I was meaning that I'm sure there are lots of birds killed in power stations. The larger environmental effect is another thing altogether.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 13:12
Oh yeah you are right. But I was just using airplanes as an example! Birds fly into buildings too! I was just trying to say that I think the person who wrote the wind farm v bird thing was probably anti wind farm. There are lots of other buildings etc that kill more birds than wind farms....

Do you see what I mean...
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index