The Tower

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

freedom!
Jan 14, 2004, 17:24
Yes of course sirrah, although it's inherently questionable regarding who the 'you' is in my comment. I'm not suggesting people are herded there, of course it is their free will. But free-will is also response to environmental (in all respects) factors, which are in turn dictated by the mode of industry employed. My utopian spirit is largely kept aloft by a belief that contest mobility in the "be better than" sense is in reality a convolution of a natural urge to be the "best you can be". That latter term has been (recently) commercially appropriated by the US Army, which just goes to show that "being the best you can be" is always a subjectivity, and open to interpretation/appropriation according to whatever one believes. Nonetheless, I think being the best you can be is assuming the responsibility for your own actions and the actions you employ via proxy/voting. I also argue that 'free will' in the free world is increasingly about a competitive response to a fiscal race, rather than an ingenious response to world problems that have plagued us for centuries. The 'human nature' argument rages on, yet every time someone tells me that (insert abomination) is "human nature", there's someone I meet that disproves it.

Not as snappy though is it? ;-)

U-Know! Forum Index