Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aaroneous
aaroneous
21 posts

marketing to teenagers -
Mar 01, 2001, 00:20
Hi, folks!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/

I don't usually post to this forum, but I've been completely engrossed for the last hour or two, and you will be too, by the link above. The interviews are especially captivating. As someone who turned on eMpTy V at the age of 7 to find the spaceship going to the moon, with "Video killed the radio star", pictures did indeed come and break my heart. I became an image obsessed grade schooler, who hated pop culture but was driven by notions of being "radical" as implied by fruit roll up commercials and skateboard clothes companies. In some ways, I paid more attention to the "cool" that was paraded in front of me on the tube than the "cool" that was implied by my classmates, causing me to dismiss most of them offhand as "uncool" for having parents who still dressed them.

It's not all bad, though. In the early days of MTV, the 120 minutes program featured some great videos, and I never would have discovered the Art of Noise if it wasn't for their obsessive pursuit of all that is weird. Still, the "closed loop" of marketing driving trends and culture, yet feeding off of it as well, seems to be getting more stiffling . . . And it's something as simple as having the cartoons and sitcoms of your youth being a generational signpost, something you can talk about at a bar, and everyone glows inside reminiscing about the commercials of yesteryear . . .

The question is how to escape, and I leave that to each of you.

I'd be interested to hear what you all have to say about it, though

Peace

Aaroneous
Buzzard of Morfe
196 posts

Re: marketing to teenagers -
Mar 01, 2001, 13:11
Thanks Aaroneous, I did read the above link, and yes, it was engrossing, very! I was especially struck by one of the teenagers comments on marketing, she succinctly and eloquently indentified it as 'pollution'. She was aware that her mind, in its formative stage, was suffering pollution. We all of us have grown up having seen far more commercials than we have had hot dinners, and the mind gets fat and flabby from them, no matter how hard you try, nearly every social interaction these days has some resonance and allusion to a something or someone who is making money by getting us to talk about them and buy their goods. It's not a new concept of course, but its going global and hyper at a terrifying rate.

On a similar note, I think that revolution is now being marketed effectively, and I find that truly terrifying. The same friends I went to Anti-Nazi demos with 10 years ago are now listening to Eminem? Someone tell me why it is cool to hate women, gays, transvestites, children etc..(I imagine he left blacks out because he's scared shitless)?Why it is cool and ironic (waggy quote finger bullshit style) to listen to some white guy spouting hate, yet raking millions from malleable teenagers and not-so-teenagers?

John Lennon said 'all you need is love?'
Today we might reply: 'well, what are shops for then?"
Buzzard of Morfe
196 posts

How to escape?
Mar 01, 2001, 13:31
You can't cut the tethers, you can only try and soak them off over time.
Change can come quickly as an individual though? Giving up TV is a good place to start. There is always then the 'sad' person label that gets thrown about! Fortunately its far easier to sparkle socially if you haven't a TV, while the dull Johns and Janes are forever quoting adverts and soundbytes, you could pull a great coup and riposte with some well-considered quote from Emerson or Goethe. Perhaps ;-)

Joking apart, life away from marketing and slavering hordes is more fun, its just hard to convince people without example, so the best place to start is at home, as ever? Surely?

No Brand, No Logo, No endorsement, No TV, No confusion. Some might think that involves no choice, but you only have to look at the people in one of those big shopping parks to see what 'choice' did.

Freek on.
Razor Penguin
84 posts

Re: How to escape?
Mar 01, 2001, 21:19
Right on, Brother Morfe!

There are so many pathways "into the world," and for me Henry Miller was a doorway to the life I wanted to lead and am trying to lead. Being inspired by Miller led me to seek out what had inspired him, and I became more and more entrenched in Life the further I went. Even more important than the specific writers he turned me on to (Dostoevsky and Goethe are particularly huge) was his contagious attitude about life and art and the relation between them. I'm so much more excitable now, and I have a very strong idea of what I like that I didn't have before.

One day when I was 17 I was returning a defective copy of Deep Purple's "The Book of Taliesyn" at a record store. The guy behind the counter said "All right! Now we'll have something good to listen to in the store." Before I knew it he had become one of my best friends and he started lending me tapes and albums. The first tape he loaned me had the entire second side of Amon Duul II's "Yeti" on it. I couldn't believe that there was really music like this, and I never turned back.

So I think the key is to become more sensitive to what YOU really love deep down, and to follow that feeling wherever it goes. A Joseph Campbell kind of thing. And as you go along the TV and radio bullshit fades away. It's still there nattering away like it always did, but it doesn't affect you nearly as much. Kind of like people who start exercising regularly and realize they don't need their cigarettes any more.

Shit, I could go on all day on this subject.
Buzzard of Morfe
196 posts

Please do!
Mar 01, 2001, 22:11
go on!
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Fear
Mar 02, 2001, 00:20
Fear rules our lives and that's the reason for the existence of MTV or margaret tartcher or guns or the church. Life alone is too...'empty' for most and needs to be filled. But therein lies the secret. To be able to get rid of it all and then integrate the Light into your life at pleasure.

'Kind of like people who start exercising regularly and realize they don't need their cigarettes any more'

This is the feeling I now get when I hear people talk about current MTV muck or hated bands - I am an absolute ignoramus regarding modern youth culture and, although I know that may not be good, the alternative to this kind of self-imposed isolationism is not too good: all too bland and tame out there. I only play music from my own record collection (which grows acc. to recommendations from trusted fellow explorers), every once in a while my mom tells me what's happening mom-wise (like the price of carrots is going up) and incoming emails set my course of action. With a few exceptions, of course - Normally all spam goes automatically down the drain but I stumbled upon one the other day with the subject 'are you happy with the size of your penis?'. It was probably one of those american companies willing you to buy something by first... making you un-happy. It dawned on me that all snivilisation is based on a dying lie, so the course of action is to consider 99% of modern culture as internet spam.

I haven't checked him ever since but a good mystic that I read as a teenager is Krishnamurti who taught me to clear myself of ideology or creed and act accordingly by ignoring what's been called here... 'pollution' (=free your mind and your ass will follow). Get rid of your radio, tv, pet hates, even books etc Once this has been achieved (harder than you think) your clean mind acts like a radio receiver. It is at this time that you begin to appreciate signals and discriminate between essential and non-essential, and you begin to BE. Otherwise spend a couple of weeks in isolation or meditation, with no pollution from civ-ill-lisation until you have freed your mind.

A few KM quotes:

self knowledge cannot be given to us by another

opinions about facts can be denied but a fact can't be denied

so long as we cling to ideas, we cannot experience Truth from moment to moment; what *IS* is constantly changing so the mind must not be tethered to any particular dogma or pattern of action

revolution in society must begin with the inner transformation of the individual

self-understanding does not come through the accumulation of experience, which is merely the cultivation of memory

Our problems are so complex that we can solve them only by being simple.
creativeness is instantaneous

life is not a process of becoming something; that is: pain, strife, struggle.

love is neither memory nor experience; you cannot think of love; we use relationship as a means of furthering achievement but it is only BEING (=existence)

have the capacity of meeting everything anew without the conditioning reaction of the past

if one does not make an effort to run away from what one is, one lives with emptiness, with which there is creative action (=happiness)

so long as there is identification of the ME there is pain and fear but when I identify myself with something worthwhile and greater (Beauty, Life, Truth, Belief) there's escape from fear. Fear is the non-acceptance of what IS.
Erin
10 posts

Re: marketing to teenagers -
Mar 02, 2001, 06:06
I can be ridiculouly radical about this subject. This stupid ass label obsessed materialism is a tool. A tool used by the man to enslave. When I think of the huge amounts of money spent by working class people on these items(clothes, shoes ets), I want to call them all fools to their faces. I wonder how Tommy Hilfigger sleeps at night.
Back to the subject of coolness. I did the same thing. I didn't take the time to get to know the "uncool people". Big mistake. I know now that you should never judge a book by it's cover.
Back to this label thing. I have preached to countless people about how they are being used. I've practically begged them not to buy into the madness. They continue to do it. They want their kids to have the best. All the time they work their butts off and send their kids to day care. Whats wrong with this picture?
Day Care ugh! Don't even get me started on that one. I'll have working mothers ready to rip my throat out. My beloved mommy stayed home until we were all over the age of ten. We didn't have two cars, a big house, or designer clothes because she thought it was more important for her to raise us.
It's unfortunate that something as good as feminism could lead to such unnatural behavior. Imagine putting your two week old child in a daycare for 8 hours a day. 5 days a week .Year round.
I'm not trying to put down working mothers. I realise alot of them have to work. But alot of them don't.
I'm definately not blaming feminists for the situation either. I consider myself one.
People have been brainwashed into the buy buy buy mentality. They need to get their priorities in order.
U-Know! Forum Index