Ann Coulter

57 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: po-mo
Nov 19, 2003, 13:09
I know what your saying but it's the analysis and criticism that makes it post-modern, not the art itself. I think it's conceptual art thats pissing you off. It pisses me off too.

The worst thing the conceptual movement did IMO is to say a work of art can exist purely as an idea in your head. </rant on> hmmm.. ah... no IT FUCKING CAN'T. Oh.. bloody great one there, lets remove all the inherent weight that a medium can add to a piece, bloody marvellous, thanks for that. <\rant off>

But I have a way to combat it. Refuse to accept that it is a conceptual piece and find a passionate & spiritual message or presence within it. Refuse to accept it's neutrality, or it's intellectual context.

The other great crime of the conceptual movement is to say 'everyone is an artist'. This has resulted in the net being cast far and wide, dragging all manner of no talent shite into our 'art spaces' (art spaces is another problem which I can bluster on about with wide bulging eyes for hours). No. Everyone is NOT an artist. I have no solution to combatting this problem, apart from kicking in the crap they make and being dragged away by the coppers. But, I do know how to tell the difference between an artist and a chancer. Artists cannot truly describe every square inch of their work and every aesthetic decision they make, eventually they find themselves shrugging and saying 'erm... I dunno actually'. The chancers however can explain everything they do in incredible detail.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index