Lying for Columbine

91 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Lying for Columbine
Oct 08, 2003, 21:26
I wouldn't say it's "mad" but it is "irrational." ;-)

Methinks there's two levels of human existence: the "earthly" (what to eat, where to shit, who to fuck or vote for, etc.) and the "spiritual" (wondering "why am I here? Where did I come from?" and so on.)

Rationality and science really can't answer the spiritual concerns. You can't prove or disprove the idea that "the Goddess has a plan for me" (or however you want to phrase the big question whose answer we already know to be "42"). You can simply BELIEVE it or not, which is not a rational mode of thought. I never said rationality was the answer to everything.

My larger point is that "magical analysis" (and I'd call religion a subset of that) isn't very useful for earthly concerns, like politics and economics and that sort of thing. A certain policy will lift people out of poverty or it will throw more people into poverty. You can measure the results and adjust the policy accordingly. Magic won't feed the starving, though it might make them feel better about starving (or make you feel better about the fact that others are starving.)

As for me personally, I bet you wouldn't be surprised to know that I'm a "philosophical agnostic, practicing atheist." By which I mean I don't really care "why we're here" (rationally, I don't think the question is answerable -- spiritually, I don't see what difference it would make in how I'd live my life) -- so I don't waste my time with any of that magical stuff.

I do believe in "practices" like Tai-Chi and Yoga though . . . for rational, non-spiritual reasons, of course.

;-)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index