Lying for Columbine

91 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: And for the love of Morfe..
Oct 06, 2003, 19:05
"Seems that 'self-serving make-the -acts-fit-my-truth' is currnetly extremely common."

R you calling me a cunt again ? ;P

"With that I'm off back to go and turn some more facts into data, and render it TIFF. Infinitely more pleasing to both the eye and mind."

WHY!!! I know a fair old bit about representations and abstractions from data. I even, in my career, managed to create the perfect abstraction model (then buried it once I realised the horror of it's application). Basically there is

a) data
b) the relationships between the items of data
c) transactions performed upon data (+1 etc, etc)
d) queries performed on data (' what is... etc')

The problem with (a-d) above is that it limits all possible inference or discovery of crucial dependancy. As in..er.. trying to explain without maths here.. theres only certain things you can do with each thing. A query cannot be an item of data, nor can a transaction. AH!!! but it can, of course it can, I built a machine based abstraction model that stored all the states in the same way, which therefore allows you to morph (no pun intended) data to transactions to queries to relationships etc, etc, etc. And when I did this I was left with two letters floating large in me head. S and O. as in SO!

All it meant was it was therefore possible to wank yerself sore looking at things from any point of perception you liked. End of the day, you're still providing 'colour' by abstraction, even if you create an exact opposite inference to another. My model just allowed you to chase your tail a lot faster. Problem is, with the probability maths boys charging towards us over the horizon that such a flexible model could be applied to create an 'application' that made the one in the film 'Minority Report' seem reasonable.

But this is all my problem, which is why I say 'leave it to god, people cant create or discover certainties'
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index