Lying for Columbine

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Lying for Columbine
Oct 06, 2003, 17:59
If anyone saw Bowling For Columbine, and like me, sat in the cineam nodding with real empathic disdain for the Truth.

Take another look,
http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000051.html

it may make you question your ability to question, it may make you reinforce your inability to question.

YooEssAAAYY!

yours,

Morfe in Pursuit Of The Truth
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

what's a
Oct 06, 2003, 18:02
cineam??

A: It's a small ape-like creature that scavenges all the popcorn/ketchup/dustyhairy minstrel chocolates etc from under the cinema seats. It looks up a ladies skirt for amusement, and steals men's ankle hair to make little knitted haircoats for itself and it's brethren.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Lying for Columbine
Oct 06, 2003, 18:20
what he says is not the 'message' in the film. Micheal Moore was exploring theories, not expounding a perception or an idea. If ppl think he was, they need to critically analyse themselves a bit. Also, if you check Micheals Moore site you'll find he deals with all the 'lies' this guy accuses him of. Especially the free gun at the bank story.

PS : I dont agree with Micheal Moores ideas for sorting things out at all, I do however believe he can at least identify a lot of the problems accurately.
stray
stray
2057 posts

And for the love of Morfe..
Oct 06, 2003, 18:22
What on earth r you doing diggin thru all this stuff. I worry for you.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Re: Lying for Columbine
Oct 06, 2003, 18:27
For the most part it's a fairly well written critique of just about everything and has the effect I presume the author wanted - if you only read it once.

It's riddled with the authors' own beliefs and suppositions, to the degree that a second reading made me feel quite bristly.

I'm not going to respond to it, as I feel I'd have to do it item by item and (though many on HH think I don't do any work) there are other matters that have to be attended to. On top of which, it would never end.

Do you think the author is 100% serious? It's an enormously complex joke if not.

I'd love to see Grufty Jim fire back at this.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: And for the love of Morfe..
Oct 06, 2003, 18:45
Thanks for the worry Stray,

and the response.

It sounds glib to say I like to hear both sides of every story.

Seems that 'self-serving make-the -acts-fit-my-truth' is currnetly extremely common.

With that I'm off back to go and turn some more facts into data, and render it TIFF. Infinitely more pleasing to both the eye and mind.

Tiffin anyone?

Onwards!!!
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 06, 2003, 19:05
"Seems that 'self-serving make-the -acts-fit-my-truth' is currnetly extremely common."

R you calling me a cunt again ? ;P

"With that I'm off back to go and turn some more facts into data, and render it TIFF. Infinitely more pleasing to both the eye and mind."

WHY!!! I know a fair old bit about representations and abstractions from data. I even, in my career, managed to create the perfect abstraction model (then buried it once I realised the horror of it's application). Basically there is

a) data
b) the relationships between the items of data
c) transactions performed upon data (+1 etc, etc)
d) queries performed on data (' what is... etc')

The problem with (a-d) above is that it limits all possible inference or discovery of crucial dependancy. As in..er.. trying to explain without maths here.. theres only certain things you can do with each thing. A query cannot be an item of data, nor can a transaction. AH!!! but it can, of course it can, I built a machine based abstraction model that stored all the states in the same way, which therefore allows you to morph (no pun intended) data to transactions to queries to relationships etc, etc, etc. And when I did this I was left with two letters floating large in me head. S and O. as in SO!

All it meant was it was therefore possible to wank yerself sore looking at things from any point of perception you liked. End of the day, you're still providing 'colour' by abstraction, even if you create an exact opposite inference to another. My model just allowed you to chase your tail a lot faster. Problem is, with the probability maths boys charging towards us over the horizon that such a flexible model could be applied to create an 'application' that made the one in the film 'Minority Report' seem reasonable.

But this is all my problem, which is why I say 'leave it to god, people cant create or discover certainties'
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Oct 06, 2003, 19:29
??

Stray, I'm as lost as cimean in a 10 screen movie theatre with no-one at the projector!
That last post of yours?? What?

My point about people using facts to fit the truth they are looking for was directed at both Michael Moore and Bill Whittle.

My turning data into TIFF's means I'm going to spend more time taking photos than trawling through politically motivated websites :-)

Sorry if was unclear,my time's online are limited.

Yours in truth

*bucket spoon* who may occasionally turn up in the weblyverse to put a cog in someone's rantings.

But not yours, you're a fully-loaded Stray in flight to Nirvana :-)

Wheeeee!

(PS, I went to the docs, had to choose specific one because of immig rules. The foyer was a big black marble affair, with giant chrome digits on the wall announcing the building no. 7 - 7 - 7)

brrr. Acid flashback ;-)
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 06, 2003, 19:45
Hahaha.. its always good to see them numbers here and there, just to disquieten you.

Yep, sorry, about the last post. I wasnt helping much was I ?

I'm in a fit of my madness at the moment and am gibbering a great deal of uninteligible bollocks, I realise this, and will work it all out in the safety of myself. It all started after watching a documentary on the artist Maurizio Cattelan last night which started me thinking of the artist Beuys. Set me off on one so it has. And as you say, you fit things to fit things, and I cast a big net out today. Still throwing crustaceans away and biting the heads off the ickle fishes.

I think I'm just trying to say 'look, I'm completely hatstand because...'. Hoping that people will just understand, nod, pat me on me head, smile, and not challenge me ;).
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Oct 06, 2003, 19:55
So?

(pats on head)

I like that.

"so"?

SoBe.

ARGHHHHH!!!!!

That's where I live!!!!