So why are you a veggie?

67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Why am I still vege?
Feb 04, 2001, 00:20
My dear IzzyOrange, I am most certainly not ignoring you, merely being away from computeryness for a while.

The enviromental thing is indeed a real issue. I have a friend who lived in Egypt, and he was proudly vegetarian. Until he saw his Egyptian housmate go out and catch a fish for tea, and it hit him that he was eating overpirced vegetables that had been grown with pesticides and shipped half way around the world, and as such was doing far more damge than the fishy guy.

I chalenge any meaty Brit to argue they could get a sound diet without imports. The word 'protein' leaps to mind. But then we have to ask what our present livestock are fed on; grain and other foodstuffs grown abroad and shipped in.

We also have to look at the environmental impact of grazing animals on the environment. Bare mountains and moors are seen as natural countryside, in the same way that rotting piles of animal shit constitute a 'natural countryside smell'.

The sheep, cattle and deer love new shots, thus preventing any new tree growth. The Romans called the northern part of Britain 'Caledonia' or 'mountainous land of forest'. We cut the forest to graze our animals, and the animals prevent new forest.

As great and worthy an organisation as Trees For Life spends a lot of its time not growing trees, but fencing saplings from foraging sheep, deer and cattle.

Faced with the protein choice of a cow having (probably GM) imported animal feed and saplings, or else imported Turkish lentils, I find myself being firmly a lentil guy every time.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index