U-Know! Forum »
Better than Capitalism

87 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: The difference
Sep 10, 2003, 16:47
Unfortunately exploitation isn't governed by what I call 'common' sense, nor is it likely to be in the near future? I've already stated I don't believe in Utopia. But I believe in ingenuity and respect for the world around us. It's 'common sense' for some people to cut corners because they get what they want so much easier. Coltan buyers use 'common sense' when turning a blind eye to the warlords who enslave the miners in Africa, surely it's 'common sense' to them to get quick profits and keep out of arguments whilst selling cell phones like hot cakes.
I argue that it's common sense NOT to support/ encourage violence and exploitaion by proxy. It makes sense NOT to support violence and make people suffer MORE than it makes sense to make a profit for a luxury item. Of course, therein comes the policing element, and I agree, is fraught with ethical arguments, as is any element of force. Of course,capitalism is fed by the buyer, and the buyer can (in some cases) decide for themselves whether or not they are supporting exploitation/pollution/glowing radiocatibe babies or whatnot. But it DOESN'T work like that, such people who close their purse are in a miniscule minority, because of A. No information available at point of sale (of course otherwise it wouldn't get sold so easily
) and B. They want things, and they want them NOW. Who decides when human life becomes more important than 'luxury' item for the west. Who decides when rubber plantations are outstripping the rainforest at a level that is more environmentally damaging than were the rubber harvesters to lose their livelihoods. Nothing can be done ad hoc, without replacing damaging systems with better, common sense ones. I agree with you to a point, the most we can do is hold a mirror at the face of the criminal. But wouldn't SOMETIMES it be easier to make his activity criminal in the eyes of the law? All peoples are governed by law, we have taken our selves SO far away from the old tribal laws (which were born from a necessity to conserve and respect the land) that we can pretty much do what the fuck we like as long as we have enough dollar. I don't call that progress, any more than you don't like laws.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index