What is better than Capitalism?

180 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: War
Sep 10, 2003, 22:01
(Haven't read that article yet but I'll respond first anyway.)

"Capitalism may be less controlling in many ways than state communism, and I'm not an advocate for either. I don't see why it has to be X or Y."

I don't see as X vs. Y either. More like a continuum from theoretical-but-not-reachable "total economic freedom" at one pole and equally-theoretical-but-not-reachable "total state control of the economy" at the other.

So all societies contain some "X" and some "Y" and it boils down to a question of what the proper balance should be. Different societies will come up with different answers.

As near as I can tell anarchism is "all X" but with some romantic notions about human nature attached.

If you go back to "caveman days" before anything was "taught" I'm sure they were beating each other over the head on need & greed issues then too.

Let's look at nature for some indication of the role of instincts: some animals are solitary and will kill members of their own species on sight, especially in contests over mating and food. Others have more herd-like instincts, and work as a group against other species and other herds. But of course within the herd there are still battles for status between members. Does the alpha male lion really need 5 females when the herd runt has none, or is he just being "greedy"? (Draw your own conclusions on "evolution" as it relates to economic disparities.)

I would assume Humans are more herd-like than solitary, since that's the way monkeys and apes are in the wild. And of course I believe we're nothing more than clever apes.

The point is I think a lot of "human nature" is fundamentally instinctive, though the instincts are reshaped by the social environment (who has the baddest auto, the biggest house, the most toys, etc.)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index