Alan Garner's favourite book on prehistory

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nix
nix
201 posts

Alan Garner's favourite book on prehistory
Aug 04, 2018, 21:10
Anyone read it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prehistory-Britain-Ireland-Cambridge-Archaeology/dp/0521612705
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Alan Garner's favourite book on prehistory
Aug 05, 2018, 11:25
nix wrote:

No, but I do have his two other books, 'The Significance of Monuments' and 'An Archaeology of Natural Places' He is very erudite, and the book you quote seems to cover more of our history than those two. In many ways I could not get on with his thinking but that could be my fault his writing is very fluid. We all see things differently.
Alan Garner, master of mystery and weirdness, now what is he finding in this book Nix?
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Aug 12, 2018, 19:54
Alan Garner has a new book out. I had no idea it was in the pipeline. He's written about his childhood. Or at least, he's written about his childhood from his point of view as that child, at Alderley Edge. I'm very much looking forward to reading it.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 15, 2018, 10:59
Funnily enough there was an Q/A article in The Newstatesman the other week with Alan Garner, on the two latest books that have influenced him they were, Richard Bradley's - Archaeology of Natural Places, and Jay Appleton's - The Experience of Landscape. This last book is written by a geographer (and very expensive) in the 1970s.

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/qa/2018/08/alan-garner-qa-we-ran-alan-turing-asked-me-whether-ai-was-possible
nix
nix
201 posts

Sep 10, 2018, 19:37
Hi Moss. Sorry for the long delay. I guess I am just inclined to take anything he says on the subject very seriously. Apart from the wonderful evocation of prehistoric landscape in his novels, he has made several significant discoveries himself. And his understanding of 'stone' seems without compare in living writers (he does after all come from stonemason stock).

In his last novel Boneland, his evocation of the prehistoric mind is completely convincing. x
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index