Brimham Rocks »
Oh!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oh!
Jun 15, 2018, 11:45
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5839987/Fury-mindless-youths-smash-graffiti-iconic-rock-landmark.html?ito=social-facebook
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Oh!
Jun 15, 2018, 14:29
nigelswift wrote:

Good to know that when they are brought to justice they will be told not to do it again and sentenced to go on a camping holiday where they will learn all about other country activities and ways at our expense.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 15, 2018, 20:46
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Good to know that when they are brought to justice they will be told not to do it again and sentenced to go on a camping holiday where they will learn all about other country activities and ways at our expense.

As opposed to flogging them, or stringing them up. Yes, I guess showing them the error of their actions is probably preferable.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jun 15, 2018, 22:15
As they probably get all their self-validation from social media they might have a bit of a shock when people start sending them unkind messages. People get death threats for less.

Natural justice would be to push them off though, I can't say I wouldn't get a bit of satisfaction out of that. But it's nice to think they might eventually repent and regularly experience the most excruciating guilt and embarrassment for the rest of their lives every time anyone mentions a rock, or grit, or stones, or sees anything falling, or hears "weren't you that idiot who vandalised Brimham Rocks"? You know that sick to the pit of your stomach feeling you get when you remember something trivial but embarrassing from your youth. But much much worse.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 15, 2018, 23:02
Rhiannon wrote:
As they probably get all their self-validation from social media they might have a bit of a shock when people start sending them unkind messages. People get death threats for less.

Natural justice would be to push them off though, I can't say I wouldn't get a bit of satisfaction out of that. But it's nice to think they might eventually repent and regularly experience the most excruciating guilt and embarrassment for the rest of their lives every time anyone mentions a rock, or grit, or stones, or sees anything falling, or hears "weren't you that idiot who vandalised Brimham Rocks"? You know that sick to the pit of your stomach feeling you get when you remember something trivial but embarrassing from your youth. But much much worse.

For a many of us what you have just described is karma - not 'what goes around comes around' but an eventual realisation of the enormity of something we did in ignorance or stupidity. We may not have used a sledgehammer but most of us have vandalised the environment to some degree however small - how else did the oceans become clogged up with plastic. It's the sociopaths I fear, listening to the local news this evening - those people who commit violent acts against other people, often randomly and who have no remorse at all.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 16, 2018, 08:15
There's now a thing called restorative justice. It would be good to make those five put another stone up there, televised live.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 16, 2018, 18:03
nigelswift wrote:
There's now a thing called restorative justice. It would be good to make those five put another stone up there, televised live.

I've just re-read your link which gives surprisingly in-depth details about the geology of the area. It was one of those pointless acts of vandalism that initially leaves you speechless - I have a friend who works for the probation service and he would say there is almost always alcohol behind most anti-social crimes. Realistically, if they were ever prosecuted (and are over 18) they would probably get a Community Payback sentence - picking litter up in the local park or some such activity. Sadly, not really restorative.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 16, 2018, 18:18
If it was a manmade monument there'd be loads of volunteers keen to fix it. Not sure if the same would apply with geology. Maybe there's a gap there.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 16, 2018, 18:39
You made me look at The Daily Mail!!! :(

That aside, words fail me. Utterly, utterly mindless. Still - at least they left their names. Which is stupid, as far as they're concerned, but by far and away the least stupid thing they've done.

I despair.

G x
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jun 17, 2018, 17:12
At one of my top-ever spots, the overenthusiastic idiots who toppled the logan stone had to have it put it back at their own expense
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/4907/treryn_dinas.html
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index