Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 04, 2018, 13:16
Re: CIVILISATIONS BBC NEW SERIES
Mar 04, 2018, 10:13
tomatoman wrote:
Just read a review of the programme by Will Gompertz who gives it 2 out of 5 stars. He thinks Scharma is a plonker. I think that's rich coming from a true plonker!

Hi T, I've read Will Gompertz's review and needless to say disagree with him. He compares Civilisations to the original made in 1969 saying the original was better. I wonder how many people have actually seen it as made a very long time ago - I for one do not remember it.
Gompertz gets paid to write that sort of thing, I'm sure he's a clever man - but what he fails to mention is first and foremost the programme is educational. To quote him ..
The record of human history brims over with the rage to destroy," the historian tells us with his passion dial turned up all the way to 11 (it rarely dips below 10). There is no mention made of similarly barbaric acts that have taken place over millennia - on occasion perpetrated by a civilisation much closer to home - or an explanation as to the cultural rationale behind the actions of those wielding the sledgehammers in this instance.
Did we need to have the cultural rationale of the barbaric actions of 'those wielding the sledgehammers' explained to us - surely that is a different sort of programme. And one that would be depressing rather than inspiring.

The footage of Petra is stunning, it felt like a privilege to see it. If nothing else Gompertz's has that piece embedded in it - so well worth a look.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43132334

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index