Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2018, 17:49
Re: The wonders of DNA testing
Feb 09, 2018, 17:47
tomatoman wrote:
It IS wonderful that, after over 100 years let alone the aeons before, such DNA detail can be extracted. Yes, the media are all over it for obvious reasons. BUT.....the skeleton was a lone individual found with traumatic injuries. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but there's no evidence that the individual was necessarily a "local resident". If I'm correct in this, until another equivalent example is found, we may have all leapt to an understandable, but unjustified conclusion about the nature of our forbears.

I wouldn't dream of correcting you T, whatever I know has been inspired by reading this forum and its a loss that the knowledgeable people who used to post here don't any more. From what I understand the population - up until the land bridge between ancient Britain and the rest of Europe flooded some 8,000 years ago - was made up of hunter-gatherers ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12244964
"At the time it was home to a fragile and scattered population of about 5,000 hunter-gatherers, descended from the early humans who had followed migrating herds of mammoth and reindeer onto the jagged peninsula".

I imagine they were nomadic and used to travelling great distances on foot.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index