Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Jan 07, 2018, 15:02
Re: Best site visited 2017
Jan 07, 2018, 14:57
Sanctuary wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
I seem to have spent most of the summer/Autumn working on sites, so for me it has to be the henged Stripple Stones on Bodmin Moor that undertook a part rebuild that we were invited to, to help out in a small way. The small way was to rediscover three buried ring stones and to have the immense pleasure of seeing one of them re-erected amongst the seven that were in total. It looks fabulous now as aside from the stones being re-erected, the stone wall that had been built through part of the circle was taken down and re-built outside of it to match the curve of the circle.

Sounds good Roy, look forward to seeing photos of this in TMA. Great to hear that one of the stones was re-erected. Well done you and the team.

Thanks Drew. I'm beginning to understand now why some archaeologists seem to take forever to write-up some of their work. I'm just a humble amateur with comparatively small work time wise compared to the professional, but we get so much offered that a lot goes on the back-burner until I do a batch together. I've never stored it under the bed yet though :-).
I'll get something up just for you!

Happy New Year by the way...I suppose you've just surfaced LOL

Here you are Drew, my first report on the Stripple Stones when featured by the Heritage Trust. You'll see that at the time there was still work left to do but that is now finished and in total 7 fallen ring stones were re-erected. I will add to the report as time allows, but there's not really much more to say other than the team gained the extra permission to re-erect 3 or 4 more ring stones including the one TimeSeekers revealed and to give final detail of the access to the henge.
https://theheritagetrust.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/the-cornish-collection-the-stripple-stones/
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index