The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine PDF's

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine PDF's
Dec 03, 2017, 20:10
Like others here, I'm a bit of a collector of old books and also pdf's of those I can't afford or find. I've just bought the following pdf's on disc of the Wiltshire Archaeological And Natural History Magazine. Volumes 1-35, 1854-1908 for the princely sum of £4.95! Details below on ebay (where else!).

Check it out and scroll down to see the main content of each 'magazine'. Volume 16 for example features the following:-

[Description of Stonehenge, Geological Character of the Stonehenge Stones, Destruction of the Stones of Stonehenge, The Fall of the Trilithon in 1797, Flint Flakes found within the Area of Stonehenge, Digging's within the Precincts of Stonehenge, and their results, The Avenues and Cursus, whom were these Stones set up?, How were these Stones brought and set up?, For what purpose were these Stones set up?, Salisbury Plain and the Stonehenge Barrows, Appearance of Stonehenge from the Plain, The Barrows surrounding Stonehenge and the general results of their Examination, The Camp at Amesbury, commonly called Vespasian's Camp, Progress of Down-Cultivation around Stonehenge.]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILTSHIRE-ARCHAEOLOGICAL-AND-NATURAL-HISTORY-MAGAZINE-VOLUMES-1-35-1854-1908/262216173196?hash=item3d0d4d468c:g:PgMAAOSw-dBTwWpg

What I find really interesting is how monuments such as SH were perceived in the early days and how they have 'evolved' since the introduction of modern technology with one theory after another taking over from the previous one.

Loads of interesting stuff there for sure.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine PDF's
Dec 03, 2017, 21:00
A lot of good stuff in there, no doubt.

I do love old archaeology books, they just have that extra bit of resonance.
Stuff on my shelves like Hippisley Cox Green Roads of England or the Collins field guide to archeology, Eric Wood. Just brilliant. For me some of the time the content isn't even the main thing, theres just something magical about them as objects.
I have the Piggott book on the WKLB excavations, its as good to look at as it is to read.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 03, 2017, 21:35
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
A lot of good stuff in there, no doubt.

I do love old archaeology books, they just have that extra bit of resonance.
Stuff on my shelves like Hippisley Cox Green Roads of England or the Collins field guide to archeology, Eric Wood. Just brilliant. For me some of the time the content isn't even the main thing, theres just something magical about them as objects.
I have the Piggott book on the WKLB excavations, its as good to look at as it is to read.

Yes I have some of those myself. Green Roads is wonderful as it Piggott's book. Great drawings in that. Another excellent one is Grinsell's The Ancient Burial Mounds of England. Cunnington's Introduction to the Archaeology of Wiltshire is another gem. However, by far, my favourite though is my copy of John Aubrey's Monumenta Britannica. To see his sketches and notes drawn up 'on site' takes me right there stood next to him! I bought it in 1980 and it cost me a fortune at the time nearly breaking the bank! Baked beans for the next few weeks was well worth it though :-)
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 03, 2017, 22:00
Ah, very nice re Aubrey. Some things are worth a few weeks of baked beans. The Grinsell book is beautiful, one i'd like to have a copy of.
As far as i'm concerned these are just lovely things to fill a house with, but my wife probably has other ideas.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 03, 2017, 22:07
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

As far as i'm concerned these are just lovely things to fill a house with, but my wife probably has other ideas.

Tell me about it :-)
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2017, 08:11
Dec 04, 2017, 08:09
or indeed you can read / download them for free on the Internet Archive (and I think it goes up to about v100)
https://archive.org/search.php?query=wiltshire%20archaeological
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 04, 2017, 08:44
Rhiannon wrote:
or indeed you can read / download them for free on the Internet Archive (and I think it goes up to about v100)
https://archive.org/search.php?query=wiltshire%20archaeological

Yes - another great resource.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index