Sacred directions

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Sacred directions
Nov 29, 2017, 12:58
nigelswift wrote:
1.) As an aside - IMO nothing is inappropriate for a thread. Meanderings are a rich source of amusement or education and don't prevent people bringing the thread back to where it was if required. What's not to like?

2.) "Is it the psychology working"? IMO it's the aesthetics.

I agree, i’ve never been one for worrying about diversions here and there.

Aesthetics, yes, definitely. When you walk into a cathedral and look up and around your mind shifts in some way. I imagine it would have been the same at Avebury.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 29, 2017, 13:32
your mind shifts in some way. I imagine it would have been the same at Avebury.....

I think if it's incomplete something is lost. Certainly at Avebury. Also at SH. I went inside the foamhenge thing, years ago, that was complete and wow, it had a powerful something, even though it was made of ticky-tacky.

Doll Tor, Rollrights, Nine Ladies and Stanton Drew NE Circle all have the "feel". I think that's proof - scientific proof - that satisfying proportionality calls across the millennia. (And that energies and ley lines are bollocks but that's another matter!)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 29, 2017, 15:57
Just listened to that Rhiannon, thanks - yes, reflective and interesting. I identified most with what the Pagan had to say as in North representing winter, security, hearth and home; East - growth and Spring; Summer - passion and vitality; and finally West - autumn and ageing. I was reminded of the number of prehistoric wedge tombs and small stone circles are on the west coast, particularly the south west coast of Ireland. And as has been said many times before, a circle doesn't face any direction and all directions.
Also smiled last week when one of the archaeologists on 'Digging for Britain' involved with the Avebury 'discovery' of a square apparently predating the stone circle referred to it as a 'square circle' - thereby solving the mathematical conundrum of squaring the circle.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 29, 2017, 15:59
I wonder if it's a case of where you start the journey... OK maybe I should say "in my experience it depends on where I start the journey." :)

For example... In Avebury, if I start from the National Trust Zone (NW sector) I tend to follow the circle in an anti-clockwise route. And if I have a wander from, say, the Megameet Zone (SE sector) then I'll generally follow it clockwise. Unless I'm heading back to the car park.

Boskawen-Un - anti-clockwise, Long Meg & Her Daughter - clockwise, Rempstone -
clockwise, Castlerigg - either direction, actually... Callanish - same. I'll not go through them all. ;)

I'd not really thought about it in any detail, and will probably continue to not do so. ;) Except now of course I'll notice it. :D

G x
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Nov 29, 2017, 16:15
nigelswift wrote:

Doll Tor, Rollrights, Nine Ladies and Stanton Drew NE Circle all have the "feel". I think that's proof - scientific proof - that satisfying proportionality calls across the millennia. (And that energies and ley lines are bollocks but that's another matter!)

Doll Tor, what a site. But like another favourite, Fernworthy, do the trees have a hand in giving it 'the feel'? Or are you talking purely about the arrangement and proportions of the stones themselves?

Re energies - Didn't the results of the Dragon project come up with some unusual ultrasound readings at sunrise and sunset at the Rollrights? I seem to remember some very high radiation level being recorded on the road too (comapred with background) and claims of spectres and dogs thereabouts. CLassic stuff - I truly love it.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 29, 2017, 16:31
do the trees have a hand in giving it 'the feel'? Or are you talking purely about the arrangement and proportions of the stones themselves?....

No, I agree strongly, "the natural" is the other major contributor. God this makes me feel old in TMA terms as it was about 2003 I put this forward here! We are attuned to trees not pavements, moss not concrete, thatch not tile etc. Put a bit of ivy and lichen on rocks and avoid straight lines and everything, including monuments, looks and feels better....
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Nov 29, 2017, 17:02
nigelswift wrote:
Put a bit of ivy and lichen on rocks and avoid straight lines and everything, including monuments, looks and feels better....

Yes!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Nov 29, 2017, 17:07
goffik wrote:

For example... In Avebury, if I start from the National Trust Zone (NW sector) I tend to follow the circle in an anti-clockwise route. And if I have a wander from, say, the Megameet Zone (SE sector) then I'll generally follow it clockwise. Unless I'm heading back to the car park.

I tend to park up by the Church, willfully ignoring the signs, (such a rebel) and then take a left towards the NT bit and go up the stairs. So thats.. clockwise. (Had to think then. Christ, that must be age).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 29, 2017, 17:12
But which hand do you hold your sword in? (It should explain it all).
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2017, 17:17
Nov 29, 2017, 17:16
nigelswift wrote:
But which hand do you hold your sword in? (It should explain it all).

Like George, I prefer an axe! Speaking of which I was devastated to read recently that Ritchie Blackmores hair *might not be his own*.
How I didn't t(wig) that from seeing pictures of him in the 70s to now, I don't know, but there we are.

Not sure if i'm being dim and missing the point (very likely) but i'm right-handed.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index