Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Wirral Megalithic Sites
Nov 22, 2017, 07:22
GLADMAN wrote:
thelonious wrote:
Just wanted to say hi David. Always good to see new folk on TMA.

Where would we be without wonderful OS maps.

Makes me wonder just how many folk's interest in prehistory has started or been further fuelled by looking over a map and thinking I wonder...

I just love them (interesting subject by the way thanks).

Maps? Sometimes hate them when I can't figure out where I am on them. My fault, obviously. But where would we be without them. Particularly the torn, personalised ones with red route lines smeared by rain.... so many memories.

God I love maps, I can sit for an evening looking at one like some do a newspaper.
On the subject of not being able to find where you are on them, that is a problem for me too. The OS maps on phones are excellent for that! (as long as you have battery and GPS signal!)
It’s reassurijg to see the littl blue dot telling you where you are.

But it’s the paper ones that remain my favourite. My Marlborough one is so knackered but I still take it with me every visit.
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2017, 09:21
Nov 22, 2017, 09:05
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
thelonious wrote:
Just wanted to say hi David. Always good to see new folk on TMA.

Where would we be without wonderful OS maps.

Makes me wonder just how many folk's interest in prehistory has started or been further fuelled by looking over a map and thinking I wonder...

I just love them (interesting subject by the way thanks).

Maps? Sometimes hate them when I can't figure out where I am on them. My fault, obviously. But where would we be without them. Particularly the torn, personalised ones with red route lines smeared by rain.... so many memories.

God I love maps, I can sit for an evening looking at one like some do a newspaper.
On the subject of not being able to find where you are on them, that is a problem for me too. The OS maps on phones are excellent for that! (as long as you have battery and GPS signal!)
It’s reassurijg to see the littl blue dot telling you where you are.

But it’s the paper ones that remain my favourite. My Marlborough one is so knackered but I still take it with me every visit.

I love my old torn ones. Tears Like battle scars across them and the odd squashed bug or two that bring back memories of good trips.

My local one is on life support, held together with sellotape and a kitkat wrapper (quick fix on a hill a few years back).

I still get lost all the time though.
david gregg
15 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 13:33
Hello. I don't know of any geophys work at Arrowe Park but I assume the stone holes could still be located. Same for Fender Lane but the ground is wet. However at Overchurch Hill a survey north of the church was made before the Upton Bypass was built. They found no sign of the old village site but did find 4 clear magnetic anomalies. 2 of these fall exactly on the circle I proposed earlier. 2 are geometrically linked to the circle in a simple way. That convinced me the circle was real. I am trying to get Liverpool Museum to take an interest in some field work. Best wishes,
Dave Gregg
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 25, 2017, 12:57
david gregg wrote:
Several suggestions have been made over the years about ancient stone sites on the Wirral. I have now investigated three based on OS map analysis : the Overchurch site at Upton; the Arrowe Park site; the Fender Lane, Bidston site.
The first two appear to host large stone circles. At Overchurch Hill 7 stones accurately lie on a true circle of ~1176 ft diameter. Four stones define two sectors of an inscribed hexagon. The graveyard platform of the Norman church also has interesting geometry. At Arrowe Park there are two concentric circles and a third circle and all together 13 stones seem to be involved. The inner circle also appears to host hexagonal geometry. At Fender Lane Bidston the old maps show 3 linear rows of stones more or less north south. In total there was once an array of 42 stones over 1250 ft long. At all three sites analysis shows many alignments to sun and moon rising and setting events far beyond chance. If anybody is interested or has done work on these sites please contact me. I am publishing a short book on these sites.

Professor D P Gregg (retired)

Hi David

No doubt you'll already know about this, but I picked it up when surfing around. Quite an interest shown on that particular forum.
May I ask what got you into this research in the first place - was it connected with your professional work?

Regards
Roy

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/260288/all/Stones_in_Field_near_Bidston_V.html
david gregg
15 posts

Nov 30, 2017, 16:12
Yes, I have analysed the Fender Lane site. Again I first assumed it was an agricultural enclosure but I cannot find info. on it. Have you seen any historical references to it? The array is huge and very accurately laid out. It once had 42 stones. It has ~49 accurate three stones alignments of which 41+ accurately relate to obvious solar and lunar rising and setting points... mainly the latter. This is surprising but in line with Overchurch and Arrowe Park results.

My professional background is in systems analysis and modelling. I worked for a large multinational doing all kinds of business analysis but also for many years I was an academic. Iv'e been an astronomer and history buff since I was a kid and naturally applied my maths to historical analysis and got hooked. I have analysed many ancient sites using the methods of Professor Alexander Thom. I conclude there was a hell of a lot going on in the Neolithic.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 03, 2017, 15:09
david gregg wrote:
Yes, I have analysed the Fender Lane site. Again I first assumed it was an agricultural enclosure but I cannot find info. on it. Have you seen any historical references to it? The array is huge and very accurately laid out. It once had 42 stones. It has ~49 accurate three stones alignments of which 41+ accurately relate to obvious solar and lunar rising and setting points... mainly the latter. This is surprising but in line with Overchurch and Arrowe Park results.

My professional background is in systems analysis and modelling. I worked for a large multinational doing all kinds of business analysis but also for many years I was an academic. Iv'e been an astronomer and history buff since I was a kid and naturally applied my maths to historical analysis and got hooked. I have analysed many ancient sites using the methods of Professor Alexander Thom. I conclude there was a hell of a lot going on in the Neolithic.

Hi Dave
No I've not seen any historical references to it I'm afraid. I don't think there is any exaggeration on your part whatsoever about a great deal going on in the Neolithic. Thom has been discussed here on various occasions but not following his work, I have never taken part in them.
david gregg
15 posts

Jan 21, 2018, 15:35
I have now published my preliminary analyses of the Wirral megalithic sites
at Overchurch, Arrowe Park and Fender Lane in 'A Wirral Megalithic Mystery'
(Amazon Books) if anybody is interested. I have also been scanning the Wirral 19th century OS maps and found several other standing stone groups. Overall I think there may be over 150 such stones, including part of a large double stone circle. Happy new year.
Prof. Dave Gregg
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 21, 2018, 18:31
david gregg wrote:
I have now published my preliminary analyses of the Wirral megalithic sites
at Overchurch, Arrowe Park and Fender Lane in 'A Wirral Megalithic Mystery'
(Amazon Books) if anybody is interested. I have also been scanning the Wirral 19th century OS maps and found several other standing stone groups. Overall I think there may be over 150 such stones, including part of a large double stone circle. Happy new year.
Prof. Dave Gregg

Good luck with it Dave.

I've just purchased a copy from Amazon books.

Roy
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index