Trevethy Quoit at risk

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Trevethy Quoit at risk
Oct 27, 2017, 09:28
I know Sanctuary knows more about this than me, but I am sure he will write it up soon. Is it the first time I have seen a cromlech 'at risk'?

"Trevethy Quoit is an outstanding example of a chambered tomb (also known as a portal dolmen) dating from the Early Neolithic period and is one of the best known archaeological monuments in Cornwall. It has been added to the Register as a result of increased erosion by livestock as well damage to the field and land caused by fencing. When the site came up for sale, Historic England helped to safeguard it by giving a £19,000 grant to the Cornish Heritage Trust to purchase the field. Historic England is working with the Trust and English Heritage to improve the site, protect the monument and ensure that it can still be enjoyed by local people and visitors."

https://historicengland.org.uk/whats-new/news/heritage-at-risk-2017
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trevethy Quoit at risk
Oct 27, 2017, 09:56
moss wrote:
I know Sanctuary knows more about this than me, but I am sure he will write it up soon. Is it the first time I have seen a cromlech 'at risk'?

"Trevethy Quoit is an outstanding example of a chambered tomb (also known as a portal dolmen) dating from the Early Neolithic period and is one of the best known archaeological monuments in Cornwall. It has been added to the Register as a result of increased erosion by livestock as well damage to the field and land caused by fencing. When the site came up for sale, Historic England helped to safeguard it by giving a £19,000 grant to the Cornish Heritage Trust to purchase the field. Historic England is working with the Trust and English Heritage to improve the site, protect the monument and ensure that it can still be enjoyed by local people and visitors."

Hi Moss

Yes and I am delighted that after all these years they have listened to mine and others concerns. More to follow, along with vids later today. A huge sense of relief for me personally.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 27, 2017, 15:51
This is good news for a change. I visited Trevethy Quoit just two weeks ago and can confirm there was no livestock in the field and no obvious signs of erosion. Long may it continue.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Oct 27, 2017, 17:03
tjj wrote:
This is good news for a change. I visited Trevethy Quoit just two weeks ago and can confirm there was no livestock in the field and no obvious signs of erosion. Long may it continue.

There has been no livestock since the field was sold June, about 9 months ago now. Prior to its sale the field was levelled out to tidy up the mess that had been made by the horses and some heavy vehicles. You'll be able to see a video of the mess shortly that I sent to EH. It was quite disgraceful
The Heritage Trust
23 posts

Oct 27, 2017, 18:07
Sanctuary wrote:
moss wrote:

Hi Moss

Yes and I am delighted that after all these years they have listened to mine and others concerns. More to follow, along with vids later today. A huge sense of relief for me personally.

Video etc now available here.
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Oct 27, 2017, 21:16
Well done for being proactive Roy
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Oct 27, 2017, 22:10
spencer wrote:
Well done for being proactive Roy

Thanks Mike. You back in the saddle yet?
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Oct 28, 2017, 13:31
Hmm..sort of. Went to Galloway three weeks back, shit weather, did a few sites but nowhere near as many as usual, yet to find roundtuit and upload here. I've a rambler guy here who's been waiting months for me to come and see his finds and properly log..have seen pix and there's some very interesting stuff. Work's been taking precedent, I need to pay bills and get my customers sorted..they've been very understanding through my trials and tribulations, and anyway I prefer to fieldwalk out of my busy season, he's getting on a bit and would've preferred summer, doubtless a bit twitchy, must ring. GPS stuff for City Council's taken a back seat too, and I s t i l l haven't got my finds from last year signed off...
carol27
747 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2017, 20:46
Oct 28, 2017, 19:18
We also saw Roy's video 're damage at Trethevy. Having visited this astonishing monument yearly over the last 4 years ( it's become a Cornwall tradition) i can say that of September this year it looks hale & hearty. I always envy those houses whose bedroom windows look over Trethevy day & night. Imagine gazing out at that x
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Oct 29, 2017, 10:43
spencer wrote:
Hmm..sort of. Went to Galloway three weeks back, shit weather, did a few sites but nowhere near as many as usual, yet to find roundtuit and upload here. I've a rambler guy here who's been waiting months for me to come and see his finds and properly log..have seen pix and there's some very interesting stuff. Work's been taking precedent, I need to pay bills and get my customers sorted..they've been very understanding through my trials and tribulations, and anyway I prefer to fieldwalk out of my busy season, he's getting on a bit and would've preferred summer, doubtless a bit twitchy, must ring. GPS stuff for City Council's taken a back seat too, and I s t i l l haven't got my finds from last year signed off...

Brilliant, glad to hear you are getting back into the swing of things bit by bit Mike. Your health issues are becoming a thing of the past by the sounds of it and you are moving on from the personal stuff.

Been busy down here. Finished working on the twin stone circles on Emblance Downs and got permission to excavate what we believe may be an unrecorded circle we discovered just beneath King Arthur's Hall. Have finished that now as well and in the process of compiling the final field report. Wasn't sure at first so just sent a basic draft report to the landowner, HE and NE. Historic England thought it should be presented to them with full details (all the co-ordinates etc) as I purposely left those details out to see what the reaction was first. They think it has mileage and should be officially recorded because of its location in the landscape and photographic connection to other certain sites in the area. I'll post the report up in the days ahead through the Heritage Trust and it will find its way here.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index