Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2017, 21:15
Re: Coate, Possible Cursus / Coate, Monument Group
Sep 27, 2017, 21:14
GnK wrote:
The interpretation of a potential cursus was rejected by the planning consultants working for the client who has now finished developing the site. Instead the feature is claimed as a prehistoric field boundary, and now lies nearly entirely under nice looking new homes. At best it is an unusual and apparently very early land boundary, but taken as a whole the evidence from several interventions does not prevent further consideration of this feature as a potential cursus, especially when other long-lived monument complexes elsewhere are considered.

Your post is very interesting - I take it this was work commissioned by the developers prior to the Badbury Park development on the land adjacent to Dayhouse Lane. Losing that battle to protect that piece of land (which also has more recent associations with the Victorian writer Richard Jefferies) was too much for the person who orchestrated it and she moved away from the area shortly after.
Are you a local archaeologist? If so, I would very much like to talk to you the area known as the Lawns in Old Town (not too far from Coate). I understand it is the site of the very first settlement in the town and dates back to the neolithic, possibly earlier. There was talk about 'utilising' the some of the land for a car-park as part of the old Corn Exchange development, a while back but as far as I'm aware no plans have yet been submitted to the council. Archaeologically, and many other reasons too, I don't think this should be allowed to happen.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index