Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: or better not to travel at all
Aug 25, 2017, 20:19
tjj wrote:
after being with my sister when she was told she had colon cancer

Amazing isn't it, how very few words can fill in a picture.

tjj wrote:
hope she's going to be fine too, thanks to our wonderful NHS.

I hope so too and yes it is.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 21:16
tjj wrote:

Anyway - wishing anyone reading this good health and good will. Life really is too short to hold petty grudges against anyone - especially people we haven't even met.

I apologise for any heat of the moment words.
You're right, life is too short for these things, and it's right that face to face is really the only way to understand/really get to know somebody.

This place does seem to have the ability to make people extremely defensive. Sometimes when trying to deal with subtleties or explain a reason why you disagree with somebody, typed words are not enough. You can't hear the tone of somebody's voice or see their facial expressions, so on occasion words alone can seem blunt or insensitive, even when the intention is something else entirely.
Often i'm posting here in between working which means I don't have the time to really say what I want to say, to add extra layers of depth to a reply or idea, so posts can be written quickly and succinctly, which perhaps isn't best for getting a point across

Anyhow, i'm going to have a little break I think, but will be back posting at some point i'm sure.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2017, 23:45
Aug 25, 2017, 22:01
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tjj wrote:

Anyway - wishing anyone reading this good health and good will. Life really is too short to hold petty grudges against anyone - especially people we haven't even met.

I apologise for any heat of the moment words.
You're right, life is too short for these things, and it's right that face to face is really the only way to understand/really get to know somebody.

This place does seem to have the ability to make people extremely defensive. Sometimes when trying to deal with subtleties or explain a reason why you disagree with somebody, typed words are not enough. You can't hear the tone of somebody's voice or see their facial expressions, so on occasion words alone can seem blunt or insensitive, even when the intention is something else entirely.
Often i'm posting here in between working which means I don't have the time to really say what I want to say, to add extra layers of depth to a reply or idea, so posts can be written quickly and succinctly, which perhaps isn't best for getting a point across

Anyhow, i'm going to have a little break I think, but will be back posting at some point i'm sure.

Thank you Evergreen, much appreciated. All the best.

Thank you too Nigel. And Moss as well.
postman
848 posts

Aug 27, 2017, 18:58
moss wrote:

each region of Britain a fascinating place to live in,

Cheshire isnt a fascinating place to live in, it's mostly flat boring farm fields , i'm sure some might disagree, but they'd be wrong, in my opinion.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2017, 07:57
Aug 28, 2017, 07:55
postman wrote:

Cheshire isnt a fascinating place to live in, it's mostly flat boring farm fields , i'm sure some might disagree, but they'd be wrong, in my opinion.

Funnily enough when I wrote that heading I was thinking that in this overcrowded country of ours, were we not travelling too much. I had watched that six storey cruiser arrive in the Scottish Isles on tv and felt sad. Then this morning noticed that Jeremy Corbyn had made a journey to Lewis and was photographed with the Callanish Stones - all to do with politics of course.
If I had to nominate a dreary place, again flat lands, it would be Lincolnshire, well farmed land. But then Scotland and Wales, glorious scenery, few people, but why? ;)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-goes-11061412
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Aug 28, 2017, 08:50
moss wrote:
postman wrote:

Funnily enough when I wrote that heading I was thinking that in this overcrowded country of ours, were we not travelling too much. I had watched that six storey cruiser arrive in the Scottish Isles on tv and felt sad. Then this morning noticed that Jeremy Corbyn had made a journey to Lewis and was photographed with the Callanish Stones - all to do with politics of course.
If I had to nominate a dreary place, again flat lands, it would be Lincolnshire, well farmed land. But then Scotland and Wales, glorious scenery, few people, but why? ;)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-goes-11061412

Highland clearances would explain quite a lot and what the Redcoats got up to. The Highlands still feel the effects.

As for Corbyn, he really should concentrate on fighting the Tories instead of encouraging Labour voters to vote Tory up here.
costaexpress
77 posts

Aug 28, 2017, 09:40
'If I had to nominate a dreary place, again flat lands, it would be Lincolnshire, well farmed land'. Hang on a minute, that's my homeland you are talking about!
Lincolnshire has a very rich and ancient history and just happens to also produce food for the rest of the country to eat, sugar, wheat and potato for us, rape seed oil and corn for the animals. Rich in barrows, interesting hill forts and ancient woods. The Fenlands are a unique environment, flat yes, dreary no. Actually, thinking about it, I think I agree with you.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2017, 12:36
Aug 28, 2017, 12:35
moss wrote:
"I would instead suggest the various angry parties travel to Fingals Cave on Staffa as the long journey, early ferry, lengthy bus journey and heaving charter boat trip will focus their minds sharply and solutions would be much more forthcoming."

Lovely, though it would probably be easier to listen to Mendlesson's Fingal Cave Overture and just dream of better times!

'Berkshire-centric, Anglo-centred travesty.' Is it really as bad the North/South Divide? We live in North Yorks by the way, though originally from the 'South' and all I can say Yorkshire people are the friendliest people out. The one thing you learn from up here is the long tongue of history, roman, scandinavian and then Norman that makes each region of Britain a fascinating place to live in, and yes I did think of Tiompan in the wilds of Scotland not making it.

Fancy not thinking of me down here in Cornywall moss. We have it all here with plenty more still to find I'm sure. Keeps me busy ;-)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 28, 2017, 13:04
Sanctuary wrote:

Fancy not thinking of me down here in Cornywall moss. We have it all here with plenty more still to find I'm sure. Keeps me busy ;-)

Such a long way down to Cornwall, though of course it is on the other side of the rich divide of the South. And of course, I am always sworn to silence as to what is happening down there!
If I had a criticism of Cornwall it would not be for its wonderful treasure of old churches and prehistory, plus glamorous tors, it would be bungalows. ;)
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Aug 28, 2017, 14:53
I rather like Lincolnshire. It's weird in its flat bits. And it has a nice coastline, with all those windswept dunes. I'd like to get to Lincoln though, I seem to have missed that so far. Nice romanesque carvings at the cathedral mm.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index