Memories

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Memories
Aug 22, 2017, 08:54
Well I am not sure how to start this thread but after the latest furore, some thoughts on how to approach a thread. We seem to have had a lot of rows over the years on the way threads are taken over by different things – SOMEONE IS NOT KEEPING ON TOPIC – think that is impossible. You could have sub-threads of course, either in the actual thread or started separately.

There is a spiritual side to wandering round stones which can be expressed quite simply as in the words below. This is what we find wandering amongst the landscapes and stone circles of this country a sense of peace, we take photos of sites, sometimes draw them, and generally revel in their ‘prehistoricness’.

My solution to all of you that have fallen out is to meet somewhere near Uffington, (there is a pub!) don’t argue about theories that may or may not be right. My memories of Wayland’s Smithy and Uffington White Horse are mostly happy ones, sitting for a long time amongst the beech leaves at Wayland with Moss my collie staring at me intently willing me to get up and go. A sadder episode was the scattering of ashes of someone called Treaclechops who contributed to TMA with such lovely writing.

As we clustered under the trees in the rain, Nigel was there also by the way, I spied a young man standing hesitantly outside the group, Wysefool I said and went to talk to this shy young man. He was wedded passionately to Wayland Smithy, go and read his contributions, find humility, sadly he has also passed away some time ago. Wysefool was also in his way a 'genius loci'

genius loci" - the distinctive atmosphere or essence of a particular place; the guardian spirit of a site/landscape.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2017, 11:23
Re: Memories
Aug 22, 2017, 11:15
A thoughtful post Moss and yes, I too stopped to read Wysefool's entries under Uffington when I was scrolling down to the Links section. You mentioned 'going off topic' - I don't think that actually happened under the Uffington thread. Both myself and thesweetcheat wanted to widen the view out a bit that's all. And this is a good place to say I have the utmost respect for thesweetcheat, he is never rude, he doesn't back down and always displays integrity whether he is talking about politics, public transport or ancient sites. I feel more or less the same about Tiompan too (though have never heard him talk about politics).

I watched something earlier on FB about the difference between men and women's brains (it was intentionally very funny). Apparently men's brains are made up of little boxes and the rule is the boxes don't touch - they can only discuss what is in any one box at any one time. Whereas women's brains are a mass off interconnecting wires held together by something called emotion. I laughed along with the audience at Mark Gungor's act - wouldn't like to say whether I think it true or not.

Also we don't really know what is going on in the background of anyone's life when they come to this forum. Maybe their dog just died, or they just had an argument with their other half, or had some bad news about a friend or family member. We will never know unless they say and most people choose not to.
We all need to be willing to say sorry, maybe I got that wrong, maybe I over reacted or got the wrong end of the stick.

And then log off for a bit, go and get some fresh air. As I am going to do now - hopefully I will be back.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2550 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2017, 11:55
Aug 22, 2017, 11:51
tjj wrote:
A thoughtful post Moss and yes, I too stopped to read Wysefool's entries under Uffington when I was scrolling down to the Links section. You mentioned 'going off topic' - I don't think that actually happened under the Uffington thread. Both myself and thesweetcheat wanted to widen the view out a bit that's all. And this is a good place to say I have the utmost respect for thesweetcheat, he is never rude, he doesn't back down and always displays integrity whether he is talking about politics, public transport or ancient sites. I feel more or less the same about Tiompan too (though have never heard him talk about politics).

I watched something earlier on FB about the difference between men and women's brains (it was intentionally very funny). Apparently men's brains are made up of little boxes and the rule is the boxes don't touch - they can only discuss what is in any one box at any one time. Whereas women's brains are a mass off interconnecting wires held together by something called emotion. I laughed along with the audience at Mark Gungor's act - wouldn't like to say whether I think it true or not.

Also we don't really know what is going on in the background of anyone's life when they come to this forum. Maybe their dog just died, or they just had an argument with their other half, or had some bad news about a friend or family member. We will never know unless they say and most people choose not to.
We all need to be willing to say sorry, maybe I got that wrong, maybe I over reacted or got the wrong end of the stick.

And then log off for a bit, go and get some fresh air. As I am going to do now - hopefully I will be back.

Agree with all of that :-) In my case the hills came to my aid during health problems and has played a part in something good that will happen shortly.

Tjj don't stray to far please :-)
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 08:30
moss wrote:
Well I am not sure how to start this thread but after the latest furore, some thoughts on how to approach a thread. We seem to have had a lot of rows over the years on the way threads are taken over by different things – SOMEONE IS NOT KEEPING ON TOPIC – think that is impossible. You could have sub-threads of course, either in the actual thread or started separately.

There is a spiritual side to wandering round stones which can be expressed quite simply as in the words below. This is what we find wandering amongst the landscapes and stone circles of this country a sense of peace, we take photos of sites, sometimes draw them, and generally revel in their ‘prehistoricness’.

My solution to all of you that have fallen out is to meet somewhere near Uffington, (there is a pub!) don’t argue about theories that may or may not be right.

That is quite far from Scotland for people who have fallen out with someone North of the Border. I haven't fallen out with anyone but I find ths suggestion that should such a thing occur... a solution would be to travel to Uffington to sort it out... a weird sort of Berkshire-centric, Anglo-centred travesty.

I would instead suggest the various angry parties travel to Fingals Cave on Staffa as the long journey, early ferry, lengthy bus journey and heaving charter boat trip will focus their minds sharply and solutions would be much more forthcoming.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: or better not to travel at all
Aug 25, 2017, 10:41
"I would instead suggest the various angry parties travel to Fingals Cave on Staffa as the long journey, early ferry, lengthy bus journey and heaving charter boat trip will focus their minds sharply and solutions would be much more forthcoming."

Lovely, though it would probably be easier to listen to Mendlesson's Fingal Cave Overture and just dream of better times!

'Berkshire-centric, Anglo-centred travesty.' Is it really as bad the North/South Divide? We live in North Yorks by the way, though originally from the 'South' and all I can say Yorkshire people are the friendliest people out. The one thing you learn from up here is the long tongue of history, roman, scandinavian and then Norman that makes each region of Britain a fascinating place to live in, and yes I did think of Tiompan in the wilds of Scotland not making it.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2017, 17:15
Aug 25, 2017, 17:15
moss wrote:
... and yes I did think of Tiompan in the wilds of Scotland not making it.

I live about a 20 minutes drive away from Uffington - not accessible by public transport so am dependent on friends to take me there. Bearing in mind I have been called 'ignorant' by Evergreen Dazed and accused of promoting 'alternative' and 'spiritual' views in the face of his logic do you honestly think I would agree to meet him anywhere, let alone Uffington. I offered my olive branch on the thread in question. It was ignored - end of.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 17:46
tjj wrote:

I live about a 20 minutes drive away from Uffington - not accessible by public transport so am dependent on friends to take me there. Bearing in mind I have been called 'ignorant' by Evergreen Dazed and accused of promoting 'alternative' and 'spiritual' views in the face of his logic do you honestly think I would agree to meet him anywhere, let alone Uffington. I offered my olive branch on the thread in question. It was ignored - end of.

Fine June, but remember people face to face get on much better than on forums, where sometimes things are said on the spur of the moment.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 18:10
tjj wrote:
have been called 'ignorant'

Missed that, but I still hope he comes back, and George, else how can it ever be mended?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 18:11
tjj wrote:

Missed that, but I still hope he comes back, and George, else how can it ever be mended?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 20:01
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:

Yes, ED is knowledgeable and often very funny. I have some Neil M. Gunn books on my shelf on his recommendation. I know nothing about him off-forum but did email George - he seems fine, I imagine just taking a break. Also caught up with thesweetcheat on Twitter - he's fine too, was off to Anglesey with g/f to continue walking coastal path. I'm ok too, perhaps was a bit emotional when those exchanges took place. Had just traveled back from Slough (seeing Uffington White Horse en route) after being with my sister when she was told she had colon cancer - hope she's going to be fine too, thanks to our wonderful NHS. Entered into the Uffington discussion mainly because that's where I really wanted to be at that particular moment.

Anyway - wishing anyone reading this good health and good will. Life really is too short to hold petty grudges against anyone - especially people we haven't even met.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index