uffington horse and the sun

108 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: uffington horse and the sun
Aug 19, 2017, 17:28
I regret posting this link on the Home page - was expecting it to be mostly ignored as is usually the case. It it wasn't for the fact it has 46 comments under it I may well have deleted it.

Anyway, here it is as a forum topic with over 60 comments mostly by the same two people with just thesweetcheat bravely trying to offer an alternative view. Reading some of the posts, the word dogmatic comes to mind.
So I've written a few words to say what Uffington White Horse means to me - and oddly enough it has nothing to do with the sun and far more to do with the wind.
An ancient symbol carved just below the brow of Uffington Hill, quite close to the hill-fort, it is a place deeply embedded in my psyche, almost an extension of Avebury, linked to it by the Ridgeway. When seen from the London train, it tells me I am nearly home. In fact, optical illusion though it may be, it appears to be galloping in the same direction. But of course it is the speed of the train which causes this effect.
It’s a place I go whenever the opportunity arises to refresh and recharge. A place to take the heartaches of life and loss, leaving them there to be blown away on the wind. A place to see the red kite and kestrel hover below so you almost feel you are flying with them. A place of wild orchids and blue butterflies. A wonderful, enigmatic place of mystery and the elements.

Can I have it back now please.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index