24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The Nine Stones Altarnun
Jul 14, 2017, 13:40
ocifant wrote:
Looks great, I've not managed to get up there yet Roy, but will be moving to Cornwall at the end of this month. Any specific directions or advice you can give regarding access: where to park, how to approach etc?

Altarnun and the Stipple Stones are the two main circles I've not managed to visit now I think.

Hi Alan, good to hear from you again. I take it you have your Cornish Passport ready for passing through Border Control. Remember not to bring any pasties purchased in Devon with you as they will be confiscated, destroyed, and you'll have 6 points added to your driving licence :)

Heading westwards down the A30, you leave it on your left via the B3257 alongside the Bodmin Road Service Station near Plusha signposted Callington and Plymouth if approaching from the east. After about 3 miles you come to Congdon Shop crossroads. Turn right here onto the B2354 signposted Liskeard. About half a mile on the right is a lane signposted Trebartha/Bastreet. Take this and continue (past my house) until reaching a crossroad a further mile on. Cross straight over (gatehouse to Highpark Lodge on the left far corner) where two signs tell you the road will come to a dead-end. Just continue and you’ll come to signs directing you to Bastreet. You will pass a sawmill on the left then up the rising ground until you cross over the cattle grid and you are nearly there. After a couple of hundred yards you’ll see North Bowda farm on your left and shortly afterwards on your right a Stone Cross midway up the rising ground. Park up here on the sides of the moorland road although it can be somewhat boggy in the Winter months.

Walk straight up Ridge Hill and past the cross until reaching the top. Straight up and over and the circle lies down on East Moor about 3/4 mile away. However, I always take a right at the top of Ridge for a couple of hundred yards and visit the stone cairn first.

Better still, meet up at my place and I'll join you :-)

All work has now finished on the Stripples and I'm putting together the last of three reports which will feature the 7 re-erected stones and the official right of way which is now in place. Very impressive circle now and fully protected from stock!

Are you settling down the far west as intended?

Cheers
Roy
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index