The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Leskernick South stone circle

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Leskernick South stone circle
Jun 29, 2017, 13:44
I returned to Leskernick (Bodmin Moor) a couple of days ago to video the South stone circle that myself and my small team of volunteer clearance workers collectively known as 'TimeSeekers' had excavated exactly a year ago along with the North circle and 300m length stone row.

Just outside the southern end of the circle, as the following video will show, is a 1.2m x 20cm round flat granite stone with three smaller stones evenly spaced around it. We thought nothing of the round flat stone initially other than it probably was just a natural moor stone because we hadn't at that time noticed the small points of it's outlying 'markers' barely breaking out of the turf. They were only noticed (one at a time) when a couple of us used the stone as a place to store our rucksacks/flasks etc on and began feeling the points under our boots.

Anyway, that aside, here is the 5 min video I shot which clearly shows what we believe COULD be the capstone to a cist with markers denoting its presence. Pure speculation of course but we all felt the same about it.

That aside, has anyone seen a setup exactly like this before because I haven't - but then I've only seen so much!

Here is the video and it begins from within the circle at the southern end and moves directly to the round flat stone. After that the rest of the circle is videoed along with the landscape around it. Magical place.

https://youtu.be/hTadWqVaGfg

Hope you find it interesting - especially as I'm not jabbering away on it like I normally do :-)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Leskernick South stone circle
Jun 30, 2017, 09:36
Egnimas: Ever since I read that Leskernick book, and read of the settlement there the fascination of how settlement took place on the moor along with others beats against the mind. A story that encompasses huts, burial places, stone rows and stone circles - a story written in stone.
You are so lucky to be there uncovering these stones, and that other favourite of mine, which in some way ties up with the new Avebury discovery.
You are so lucky Roy to be living within a 'stone's throw' ;) of all these megalithic wonders and to take such a deep and abiding interest in them.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Leskernick South stone circle
Jun 30, 2017, 10:15
moss wrote:
Egnimas: Ever since I read that Leskernick book, and read of the settlement there the fascination of how settlement took place on the moor along with others beats against the mind. A story that encompasses huts, burial places, stone rows and stone circles - a story written in stone.
You are so lucky to be there uncovering these stones, and that other favourite of mine, which in some way ties up with the new Avebury discovery.
You are so lucky Roy to be living within a 'stone's throw' ;) of all these megalithic wonders and to take such a deep and abiding interest in them.

Hi Moss
Yes I am a very lucky person as you say just to live so close to the moor and to have been given the opportunity to work alongside archaeologists and to be trusted enough to undertake my own work along with my team. Very lucky indeed - but we have earned our stripes!
The Avebury 'square circle' is very interesting as it does, as you suggest, introduce thoughts of King Arthur's Hall and its rectangular 'stone circle'.
I am hoping that the earlier work we carried out at the hall will now be extended after our discovery.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index