What would Trump do with Stonehenge?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jun 28, 2017, 22:13
What would Trump do with Stonehenge?
Jun 28, 2017, 22:12
Observations on the roads and proposed tunnel at Stonehenge here.
CARL
511 posts

Re: What would Trump do with Stonehenge?
Jul 01, 2017, 16:41
Build a wall around it! :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Jul 01, 2017, 17:03
And get the Beaker people to pay for it.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jul 01, 2017, 20:55
Jul 01, 2017, 17:30
./
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2017, 14:56
Jul 01, 2017, 23:44
I suspect the Government just gave the tunnel budget away to Northern Ireland so maybe the whole thing will be quietly dropped. I've read Mike Pitt's article, he is careful to say it is not a polemic ... and yet it is; even though he is at pains to say archaeologists working for the tunnel builders would take as much care over any finds as David Jacques has done at Blick Mead and hey .. hasn't Jacques already destroyed the Blick Mead environment by excavating it. I do wonder why he brought Donald Trump into the equation for any other reason than to elicit a reaction - the vision of Trump and May walking around Stonehenge holding hands is the stuff of comedies.

I live in north Wiltshire, my heart belongs to Avebury, Silbury and the Ridgeway (can I have Uffington too). I'm sad and and sorry about the intractable road/tunnel situation at Stonehenge. My own view is the traffic (too many people in vehicles trying to get somewhere as fast as possible) that is the problem, not the historic A303. If they don't want to be delayed they should take another route - or stay nearer home.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2017, 06:27
Jul 02, 2017, 05:40
Goodness knows why he's implying Trump would be beneficial to Stonehenge - we've already highlighted several times how Trump is trying to facilitate damage to loads of US National Parks https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/?s=trump and goodness knows why he decries "personal attacks" when he himself has said the Stonehenge Alliance (which actually comprises very genteel people) acts like “the archaeological wing of Donald Trump’s social media campaign” and their leaflet is “worthy of Putin-supporting trolls”.

He's all over the place on the Stonehenge issue and increasingly isolated amongst his peers. There are thousand of British archaeologists yet apart from a few employed by EH, HE and the NT I can't think of any others who are pro short tunnel. Can you?
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 11:22
Mike Pitts would be a silly arse trying to ask the President of the United States what to do with Stonehenge. I think Mr Pitts is attention seeking.

I would instead suggest Mike Pitts ask Nicholas Paget-Brown what he would do with Stonehenge and what kind of cladding he would use. I think Mike Pitts should ask that because it is more relevant.
Lefturn
22 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 18:53
Howburn Digger wrote:
I think Mr Pitts is attention seeking.

Surely not...
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index