15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Ancient road between Barbury and Bincknoll
Aug 08, 2017, 11:06
tjj wrote:

Posted this yesterday as at it quick glance it seemed interesting but is actually quite an unsatisfying piece (sorry Hugh). He talks about Barbury Castle, a place much loved by me, but fails to mention the unsung but important Bincknoll Castle which lies to the north of Barbury approximately half way between Barbury, the Ridgeway and the low lying vale - now the site of modern Swindon. Up there, with views across to Barbury and the Ridgeway in on direction and out across to the Cotswolds in the other, it feels quite viable that in past times this would have been an important strategic site of defence.

A friend of mine recently pre-walking a walk he is planning to lead from Wroughton to Bincknoll Castle was told by the landowner whose path across a field friend was on that the path is part of an ancient road which goes from close to Bincknoll Castle over to Barbury Castle where is comes out on the Ridgeway - what we would now call a green road. Still there apparently although I haven't yet walked it's length.

The landowner told my friend that metal detectorists are currently seeking permission to investigate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-408000-177000/page/13

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index