Zennor Quoit »
zennor quoit

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jaciloos
3 posts

zennor quoit
Jun 13, 2017, 19:25
I am very new to finding quoits etc... I would love to visit this site and understand there is a place to park off of B3306. Can anyone tell me an easy way of finding Zennor quoit? I am from the usa and so am not familiar with the area. I really appreciate any help. Thank you so much for all your time and information.
Jaci
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: zennor quoit
Jun 13, 2017, 19:41
Hi Jaci,

The easiest route is from the north, but you might have to park a bit further away - I'm not a driver so not sure of the best place to park up.

If you haven't already, it's worth looking at a 1/25000 (Explorer Series) Ordnance Survey map. You can see the general area here: http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/bingmaps.php?qu=S&tu=Y&nm=trendrine&ct=EWM - it's centred on Trendrine Hill, which is a little to the ENE of the Quoit.

The Eagle's Nest is a house by the road - it's where the label "Higher Tregerthen" appears on the OS 1/25000. The driveway to The Carne is on the opposite side of the road, you can see it as a double pecked line on the map (not shown as a footpath, but the whole area is access land so you can wander).

As the driveway heads south from the road, it forks. The right fork (the driveway) continues to The Carne, the left fork (a track) goes to Sperris. You can take either, Sperris Quoit can be reached via the left fork, near some ruined mine buildings. If you go to The Carne (which is derelict, or was when I last went), turn left (south-east). The Quoit is on the right of the path heading this way.

Hope that helps with route-finding.

You can approach from the south or from Beagletodn to the SE, but these tend to be a bit more overgrown in places.

One other word of warning, it can quite often by misty or mizzly at Zennor, which can make route-finding a bit trickier if you don't know the area.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 13, 2017, 20:43
jaciloos wrote:
I am very new to finding quoits etc... I would love to visit this site and understand there is a place to park off of B3306. Can anyone tell me an easy way of finding Zennor quoit? I am from the usa and so am not familiar with the area. I really appreciate any help. Thank you so much for all your time and information.
Jaci

Hi Jaci

You'll get loads of info and directions here:-

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/242/zennor_quoit.html

I've visited twice as you'll see, but scroll down to my first visit field-notes to find out how I reached it - eventually :-)
Roy
CARL
511 posts

Jun 14, 2017, 21:07
Beware the gorse thorns - wear thick clothing!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Jun 14, 2017, 21:14
Or a thick skin :)
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jun 14, 2017, 22:18
Move to Korea. 35,000 and counting.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 14, 2017, 23:02
There's a pay and display car park in Zennor, as I recall. Lovely little place. Worth parking there for a little look around before or after your jaunt. :)

G x
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jun 15, 2017, 08:10
The pub is very nice in Zennor, friendly and with nice beer and food. And if you're too lazy to go hauling yourself up a hill, then the Giant's Rock is a truly superb thing not far away along a flat path (and over a wall). And there's a mermaid in the church. Ah it's lovely round there.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 15, 2017, 09:01
Ah yes! The Mermaid! How could I have forgotten that??? Yes. Lovely area... And you're a kick in the arse away from a couple of wells and SO many other lovely things. :)

G x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Jun 15, 2017, 13:14
It is. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Zennor itself as a starting point for a walk to the Quoit unless you know the way and like fairly steep gradient. Route-finding on the east side of Zennor Hill in summer vegetation is hard work. Once you get to the outcrops on the top it's fine though.

But definitely a good place to visit.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index