The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Avebury palisades

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Avebury palisades
Jun 10, 2017, 11:45
Good piece in the latest BA about the new dates. Another little piece of the jigsaw put into place.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: Avebury palisades
Jun 10, 2017, 12:21
Been sort of meaning to follow this, anything online as a source or just print?
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 12:33
I've seen a few news bits, not sure if there's anything more substantial available online.
The BA piece is really good, worth getting. Or at least standing in WH Smith's for 10 mins to read.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 12:39
Ha :)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 20:13
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Good piece in the latest BA about the new dates. Another little piece of the jigsaw put into place.

I would like to read that BA piece. I saw the story in various on-line papers a few days ago - mainly the Times which only lets you look for seconds before suggesting you take out a subscription. The other two were rags I was so angry with over their Corbyn lies couldn't bring myself to use their links. Here's one with a very odd headline - the Palisades are described as "wooden non-believer circles". Sometimes I feel I've woken up into a alternative reality.
http://ukstar.org/tech/aveburys-mysterious-wooden-pagan-circles-found-to-be-800-years-older-than-stonehenge/
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 23:32
'Non Believer circles', excellent!
carol27
747 posts

Jun 11, 2017, 17:59
tjj wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

I would like to read that BA piece. I saw the story in various on-line papers a few days ago - mainly the Times which only lets you look for seconds before suggesting you take out a subscription. The other two were rags I was so angry with over their Corbyn lies couldn't bring myself to use their links. Here's one with a very odd headline - the Palisades are described as "wooden non-believer circles". Sometimes I feel I've woken up into a alternative reality.
http://ukstar.org/tech/aveburys-mysterious-wooden-pagan-circles-found-to-be-800-years-older-than-stonehenge/

Tjj, we're living in a hologram...you KNOW this :)
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jun 11, 2017, 19:10
That piece is written in some form of semi-english. It's as if it was written in Cantonese and then translated through some kind of online translation app into Serbo-Croat and then rrun through Google Translate and rendered into a series of english words.
"The wooden rings would have been burnt to a belligerent to emanate rings of glow and could be dated regulating colourless samples."

Painful to read.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Jun 11, 2017, 19:18
Summary article here, but presumably a lot more in BA (haven't been near a WHSmiths yet...)

https://www.livescience.com/59411-avebury-circle-older-than-thought.html
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jun 12, 2017, 08:20
Yes, more detail in the BA article. There is a timeline comparing Avebury and Stonehenge too - Nothing particularly new (apart from the palisade dates) but useful to be reminded of the bigger picture.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index