Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Detectorists
Dec 19, 2017, 08:32
tjj wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:

Dysfunctional broken families, children that parents have never seen as they grew up, corruption in the "Heritage" and building trade, grown-up working people forced to live wih their aging (sorry Diana...) parents because of forty-year old hot-air housing bubble... a lottery win that doesn't make you happy... crystal healing and wholemeal candle shops that are dying in their elusive customers non- footfall... cutting down trees to clear land for wind-farms... a mayor who loses his chain of office when out dogging...

"Detectorists" simply provided a pastoral setting for an ever so slightly dystopian society...

Can't disagree with any of the above - the final series did highlight an absence of integrity when archaeological work is being done for developers (something I had often wondered about). Also the cost to nature of solar energy farms - though can't see many other viable ways forward.

It also had mystical, clever magpies (and the Unthanks). Quietly anarchic - Andy using only water instead of weed killer to spray motorway verges while temping for Highway Maintenance; rescuing a hedgehog from being run over; making a peace pact with old adversaries to protect an ancient tree.

And the ending of course - it was a fairy tale in a wicked world.

I didn't analyse it at all -just enjoyed it, just like I did yesterday when I was out with four pals with our detectors and dowsing rods on a farm on the banks of the River Tamar. The most beautiful day rounded off with the most fantastic sky as the sun went down. All the depressing stuff mentioned above gone for the day!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index